Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kale ravaged by tiny caterpillars - advice please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale ravaged by tiny caterpillars - advice please!

My kale is full of tiny holes made by very small green caterpillars (6-7mm long, 1mm wide). I've noticed small grey/white moths flitting about this year, so maybe they're the caterpillars of those moths. Had no problems last year with caterpillars and saw no moths either. Should I get rid of them with an insecticide? What if I just leave them? I'm quite new to veggie growing and didn't experience any problems last year apart from flea beetle on my overgrown rocket.

Could it be the Diamondback moth infestation we've been warned about?
    He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
      Diamondback Moth - Pest Identification for Vegetable Gardens

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
        Well, I've certainly noticed a lot of moths. Thanks, bario1.

A quick Google (although I'd rather ask on this forum for more reliability) suggests a pesticide containing a bacteria called Bacillus Thuringiensis (or BT) to take care of the caterpillars. Any thoughts on this, anyone?
        Last edited by TeaMonsta; 15-07-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks, VG! Reckon that's the blighters!

Comment

Is there too many to pick off by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              Is there too many to pick off by hand?
              To be honest, I hadn't considered that and haven't really noted the numbers; just that they are there. I'll pop out now and have a look......

Comment

.....Only found a few. But there are ALOT of leaves to check - I'd be there all day. I'm wondering whether just to sacrifice the leaves that come while the moths and caterpillars are about and wait for the colder months when they've gone to start harvesting. Providing the plants survive, of course.

Comment

A good picking over now, and some debris netting over the kale afterwards would give them a fighting chance.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    A good picking over now, and some debris netting over the kale afterwards would give them a fighting chance.
                    Think I'll do that. Thanks, VG.

Comment

Squash them ALL.

Where are you TM? Need to know if I should keep a better lookout.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
                        Where are you TM?....
                        About 30 miles west-north-west of Aberdeen.

Comment

After you've squashed them all,check them again the next day & there's more. It's because they're so small & difficult to find. Some are cocooned in webbing attached to the leaf depending what stage of development & they can dangle off the leaf edges by their webbing so I squash them onto the leaf & leave the mess on there hoping they exude a pheromone deterring any more,I think the sparrows find them though,or they're using my Brussel sprout leaves as trampolines for fun?

Comment

I use a cut down paint brush to brush them off / Kill them.

Cutting the paint brush down makes it firm enough to squash them if they are holed up in any curly parts of the leaves.

Comment

biological control

Mine is full of holes too. Ive assumed the codling moth all alone for some time. Ive reverted to the biological method now - Nemasys to cover many problems over the plot. Between the slugs, the aphids, moths, caterpillar, fungals, birds its been a challenge for my first year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X