No dig asparagus bed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No dig asparagus bed?

Just wondering if this was possible - has anyone on here tried it? Just thinking I could start "prepping" a bed with a layer of mulch, plant the crowns in spring and then mulch again on top? Not sure if this is just a bit of a silly idea though and there are some things that just "need" an initial digging? Just my lazy streak but I could spent the time and energy saved doing one of the thousand other jobs on the lottie!
    If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

We have one. My son dropped a lot of grass clippings in an oblong pile, then we threw some dirt that was pretty hard to work with over the top of it. I put the asparagus crowns in and mulched on top. They are going fantastic there now. I throw more mulch over the top each spring and put lots of manure tea on it at the same time. Only three of four crowns grew, so I'm planning to put another couple in this year. Might need to actually dig a hole to put them in though, seeing as the mound is already made.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

One of the reasons for digging an asparagus bed would be to remove all traces of perennial weeds. Once the asparagus is growing you will not be able to dig them out. If you don't have any perennial weeds I don't see why it shouldn't work.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Yep! Totally achievable! Got one myself!

As "Ferral' n "Lady P" have said, the initial set up as to be vigorous! Clear all "Perenial Weed" first n foremost, I dug down nearly 3ft to make sure it was clear, bang a layer of grit then at least 3 inch thick then backfill with with a good foot of decent soil, line up your ridges at least a foot high to "Spider Leg" your crowns over, then mix another "Backfill" of a 50/50 mix of Good quality compost n grit, Asparagus really needs a free draining bed, back fill to the top! Hey Presto! Ya done!

Sit back 2 years n reap the rewards!

Although a little fetling needs to be done in between time!

Here's mine! Far right!

& got no end of these this year!
        Attached Files
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Thanks all will just give it a go then! Mainly on annual weeds where I want the bed to go, but we have the evil bindweed popping up all over the place - no matter how many bags of roots go to the tip grrr!! Will start it off with some black plastic I think to make it a bit easier! Asparagus here we come (in 4-5 years time....)
          If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X