Have I Killed My Shallots :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I Killed My Shallots :(

I planted my shallot sets back at the start of May - late I know but I planted when the weather was really good and they seemed to instantly do very well, all of them took off and put on loads of leafy top growth. So all has been looking fine.

They've been netted over with some very fine mesh from day 1.

Today all the lovely thick lush green leaves have flopped right over to one side

I haven't watered them recently because we've had no end of rain over the past few weeks. I'm not sure if they have had too much rain and it has upset them.

Does the fact they've flopped over early mean they are ruined. Or might they still grow?
    LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Why have they been netted? Can you see the bulbs at the base of the stem? Have they split into small shallots?

Comment

It might just mean they are almost ready to harvest.

Comment

Thanks. After watching lots of videos I think they just flopped due to weight of leaves so I have propped them up a bit. They don't look ready to harvest but I can't see anything obviously wrong so hopefully they will carry on growing until late July/August when I think they might be ready.
        LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X