Courgettes - removing female flowers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes - removing female flowers

So, I may have my very first developing courgette! I know its a good idea to remove the female flower to prevent rotting, but I also know that if it's not really going to be a courgette yet that removing it will stop it developing. So - how do you tell if it properly set? The thing in question does look like a small courgette (i.e. it's that dark green colour), as opposed to the swelling that was behind the flower (which was paler). So I'm assuming I should remove it. Is it just a case of pulling it off, or is it a better idea to use a knife?

TIA

Chris

Hi Chris,

I normally wait until the courgette is a few inches long and the flower starts to wilt, I have found taking off the flower too soon stops it being polinated properly. I normally gently snap off the flower it comes off easily.

When the courgettes start to grow the can get big quickly so keep an eye on the first few.

Happy eating, Mandy

Comment

I never bother breaking them off, they fall off OK of their own accord.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I am with Alison here - and they look loverly whilst growing

Comment

You really don't need to remove the female flowers, unless they show signs of starting to rot. Once the courgette has started to swell you can remove the flower if you really feel the need to. Possibly in this horrid weather it may be a good idea, but generally they fall off when they have served their purpose.

Comment

Yes, I agree - unless you have particular problems with rotting fruit, don't do anything. Keep the soil around the plant clean and free from debris to avoid attracting slugs and snails - they are usually the culprit in aiding rotting in my experience. Cut off any small unfertilised fruit as soon as you see them wither and yellow (unless it's a yellow courgette of course!).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X