When to plant out my courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to plant out my courgettes

My courgettes are looking decidedly droopy, I'm not sure what I'm doing and whether they should go in my SFG beds yet.

They have been in an unheated greenhouse for a few weeks, can I plant them out with some supports?
    Attached Files

Mine are planted out but with fleece at the ready, they don't need supports.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi, I put my two sturdy ones out last week under a plastic cloche thing from lidl and sowed the rest of the bed with various courgettes, squash and sweetcorn. One plant was very much enjoyed by the local slug population and the other looks a bit pale and grumpy but some of the seeds have germinated already (they've been in pots in the shed for ages I just got impatient and whacked them all in to see what would happen). I've covered the seedlings and the few bits of stalk that the slugs left with bottomless plastic bottles for a bit of protection.
      So essentially, I don't know the answer to your question but mine aren't looking too happy to be outside yet! Maybe pot yours on?

Comment

Thanks BM, right, this week they are going out!

Do I need to harden them off any more given that they've been in the unheated greenhouse for 3 weeks?

Comment

I can only tell you what I'm doing but that's not to say it's right...........that's my disclaimer done...................for the rest of this week, the ones still in pots will go outside through the day & back into the greenhouse at night.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Ive been doing just that, tonight they are on the greenhouse floor. Heat rises right, so they will be colder on the floor?

Sod all this deliberation, mid week they will go out, I need to have some greenery in my beds lol!

Comment

Just keep an eye on the overnight temps or they will sulk.

Comment

Overnight temperatures after tonight are not looking too bad for as far as the models can sensibly predict. s long as you have some fleece available if the weather does revert to cold nights I think they will be ok. Mine are only at the seed leaf stage at the moment.
                A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

It's either out into their beds or pot on, I would bet if you knock one out of its pot it will be nearly root bound.............
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

ooh Pene - does that mean my tomatoes can go out next week? I am seriously running out of space!

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
                      Thanks BM, right, this week they are going out!

Do I need to harden them off any more given that they've been in the unheated greenhouse for 3 weeks?
                      Don't forget that hardening off is as much getting plants toughened up to cope with being blown about by the wind, as getting used to lower temperatures. A strong breeze can desiccate soft leaves very quickly.

Comment

I've put my courgettes and squashes out already, they were getting so big in their pots, not sure if I was sensible though!
                        DottyR

Comment

My courgettes are planted out. Pumpkins will be joining them soon. I also have fleece on stand by.

Comment

Thanks all they were outside yesterday and I'll be putting them outside during the day for the next week and plant out on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
                              ooh Pene - does that mean my tomatoes can go out next week? I am seriously running out of space!
                              I have a few tomatoes in my friend's unheated greenhouse and they are fine. If by "out" you mean outside, I'd say it was a bit early for that unless you can give them some cover.
                              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X