where to buy garlic for autumn planting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy garlic for autumn planting

I usually plant garlic in spring but I want top try and plant this autumn. One website, T&M had 2 bulbs for £3.99, but postage was £5.99!!! Another one was £9.00 which again I thought expensive for 2 bulbs, any recommendations or am I just a stinge??!
    cheers
    eden

No your not tight. I always find garlic for planting very expensive so I buy mine in France where it is seriously cheap. When you consider I plant something like 30 bulbs worth of it a year the savings are enormous.

Do yuo know anybody goingover on hols?

Comment

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/index.asp
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

The cheapest postage I have found so far is Seeds of Italy for £1.95. However, not so good if you only want two or so bulbs (for those of us on a smaller scale!).

Others (Dobies and Suttons for example) are £3.95.

Like you, I want to buy some, but only want a few as I plant in containers only.

Anybody have any suggestions for those of us who do not have access to France?

Comment

Organic catalogue is £3.95 for 150 g and only £1.20 for postage. Lifted their garlic over the weekend and had a very good crop. Enough for the year and some spare to plant again.

Comment

Hello Eden, this year I planted garlic in November and March. |The March planted was good and worthwhile, but I think the november planted was superb. See the pic. I bought it in the Supermarket. The variety was Melody from the Really Garlicky Co in Nairn, Scotland. If you can't find it in the supermarket I think their postage is £1.25.
            PS I grew the garlic in a container.
            Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I did a trial last year using Garden centre bought 'seed' garlic and 'eating' garlic I bought from Tesco's............. No difference!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

same here planted tesco garlic 15p each last november and they all grew , the only thing that happened is most of them bolted towards the end but still had all the bulbs to harvest just open instead of tight formed.
                on a planting note i read somewhere that garlic gets used to your soil over time so i'm planting my crop to get a better harvest next time.
                ---) CARL (----
                ILFRACOMBE
                NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I'm with PW as I have been buying mine from a fella in France for years, but as Carl said, it is important that it is bred for a similar climate and I grow strains from Brittany.

I would suggest you get hold of some from Isle of Wight garlic. I was going to try some Elephant garlic from them this year.

Comment

So we could buy garlic from a local greengrocer and plant that out in Nov then? I'm with those who only want a few bulbs and find the catalogues very expensive. Can you explain what you mean Carl, about it getting used to your soil? Do you mean using the same spot every year, or re-using some of your own grown bulbs to plant the following year? Sorry to be dim (and to hijack the thread).
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Mogsue,

Its all about strains of plants that are local to your conditions. As paulottie says, like me he buys garlic from Northern France where the weather is very similar to southern England so is very compatable for growing where I live in the midlands.

If I bought garlic grown in Southern France or Spain, it would be "used" to much warmer growing conditions and if planted at home, may take a few seasons through being selective with the bulbs I keep for replanting for it to "adjust" to my locale unless of course we had a splendidly warm summer and it felt at home.

If you buy from a greengrocer or supermarket to plant, try and buy that which has been grown close to home.

Comment

I bought mine from Wyevale, planted them last sept lifted them last month. THree whole cloves produced about 20 decent large cloves, 10 medium and about 5 mini cloves. Quite a decent success rate I thought for an outlay of about £3.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                          Hello Eden, this year I planted garlic in November and March. |The March planted was good and worthwhile, but I think the november planted was superb. See the pic. I bought it in the Supermarket. The variety was Melody from the Really Garlicky Co in Nairn, Scotland. If you can't find it in the supermarket I think their postage is £1.25.
                          PS I grew the garlic in a container.
                          [ATTACH]2637[/ATTACH]
                          That's where I get mine. They produce big whopping cloves with good flavour.
                          http://www.reallygarlicky.co.uk/main.html

Comment

I got mine from them. It grew wonderfully over the winter and looked good and strong by late spring.
                            Then it rotted
                            What we did rescue has a lovely flavour, and they were really helpful when I phoned for advice.
                            NB- we do grow on peat and I'm sure that didn't help!
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                              I got mine from them. It grew wonderfully over the winter and looked good and strong by late spring.
                              Then it rotted
                              What we did rescue has a lovely flavour, and they were really helpful when I phoned for advice.
                              NB- we do grow on peat and I'm sure that didn't help!
                              I had a few losses as well, same sketch - everything looking good then a late rot set in. I put it down to my wet, cold clayey soil.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X