not much sign of life?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not much sign of life?

I sowed various seeds 3 weeks ago such as cabbage, parsnip, turnip, shard e.t.c. but there still is not much sign of life, could the frost of got to them, or do you think it may be slowed down due to the lovely tropical weather we have been having lately?

Where did you sow them? In the ground or in seedtrays?

Comment

I sow cabbage (and most other brassicas) in my cod greenhouse and they come through in a week or so. Parsnips are best sowed direct and can are a few weeks. Chard is pretty quick too.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Where did you sow them? In the ground or in seedtrays?
        the packets said to sow them direct in the ground

Comment

Like Alison, I start cabbages, chard and most seeds (except roots) off indoors where I can control conditions better.
          If you've sown them outdoors, its probably too cold at the moment.

Comment

thanks as a back up plan i may start some off indoors just incase, do you think they may still germinate when temperatures pick up? thanks to yous both!

Comment

Have you had any germinate so far? If we have a spell of warm weather, it may kickstart them, but if its been very cold or wet where you are they may have rotted.

Comment

theres a few seedlings started to appear but they are very tiny, if all else fails do you think theres still time to re-plant some when weather picks up?

Comment

Many of us haven't started our seeds yet because of the weather. They'll catch up

Comment

phew im new to all this, haha grew a few cabbages e.t.c at home this year but thought id get the allotment started, what types of things should i get growing indoors?

Comment

Its no good asking me for a sensible answer - I've just sown 150+ courgette and butternut squash seeds just to see how many would germinate. I now have 60+ seedlings!

Comment

It really depends what you like to eat!

I start all sorts of stuff indoors, but things grow quite fast so you need plenty of room. Things like lettuces, cabbages, broccoli and other brassicas, peas and beans can all be started in pots. Tomatoes, courgettes and cucumbers need a bit more heat but these can be sown now as long as you can keep them at about 10C until the weather warms up.
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I sowed Greyhound cabbage, purple sprouting broccoli and nero kale on 29th March ~ in modules in the unheated greenhouse ~ and the kale germinated on 4th and the other two on 5th April.

I'm going to pot them up tomorrow but I think it'll be a couple more weeks before they go into the ground.....if I do it now the slugs will just get them or that darned rabbit that is still somehow getting in

I'm also doing peas & beans tomorrow in greenhouse but melons and cucumber will be kept on my living room window, next to my tomatoes, where it's warmer
                          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X