How many times.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times.

Just curious. How many times do you pot on your tomato plants from seeds to final pot?
    I start off with seeding stage in tiny pots. Then on into small pots, then medium and finally black buckets, which makes four.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Bramble, curiously I have just potted mine on for the third time today. ....
    Final time will be into big bags in GH - sometime soon, hopefully ... Then just waiting for sun to shine and temperatures to rise!!!
    ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
    a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
    - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

I've never counted Bramble I just move them up as they grow. so this year I'll have to take notice.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I sow them singly in small modules, when the roots show at the bottom they go into 9cm square pots, where they stay til they're planted in their final place...........bed/greenhouse border or supermarket flower buckets.

Works for me

Comment

Same as Thelma just once before their final position,but they spend a lot of time in these little pots so I use a feed.
          Last edited by Jungle Jane; 30-04-2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
            I sow them singly in small modules, when the roots show at the bottom they go into 9cm square pots, where they stay til they're planted in their final place...........bed/greenhouse border or supermarket flower buckets.

Works for me
            Ditto here

Comment

Sow individually in little newspaper pots which are about 1.5" across. Pot on into 3" pots, then 5" and finally in the tunnel border.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I sow half a dozen seeds in a small pot, prick them out into individual pots once they've got true leaves, then on into 5 inch pots then into their final pot.

This year they are ready for the 5 inch pots just about now.
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Singly into modules, then 3" pots, then 5" pots and finally into BFB. Though there has been the odd year where I have had to go one more to 6" pots as they were getting root bound.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I sow seeds in a pot or module and they go straight from there into the ground. That said, it's been so cold so far this spring that I have been thinking they need potting on. I'm hoping the night time temps will mean they can go out the end of this coming week, so it hardly seems worth it.

Comment

I have all the seeds in one pot. wait till they get to their 2nd true leaves then pot them on to a 7cm pot then out into the greenhouse when they have out grown that which is around about now.
                      If you want to view paradise
                      Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Hmmmmm, well I'm lazy and I admit it. lol

I sow mine in individual newspaper pots and then when their true leaves appear I pot them into CFB's and then that's it, just feed and take off the side shoots until I harvest the toms. Can't be doing with all this musical chairs with pots got too much of a busy life to spend half of it potting into bigger pots my plants all the while.

As an aside my tom seedlings have just appeared in the last 2 days now got 5 Roma plum tom plants.
                        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                          Same as Thelma just once before their final position,but they spend a lot of time in these little pots so I use a feed.
                          Ditto. I start one seed per 3" pot, then when they outgrow that they go in pots about 6" diameter and 7" tall, set well down. Then out into the bed mid May.
                          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

Mine started in modules and have been potted on once. They'll probably go up one more pot size before hardening off then into MFBs once they're outside permanently

Comment

I start mine in iffy pots, then 2" pots, 4" pots and BFB's, although this year - if I'd had them, I'd probably used 5" pots too. This is only because I've no blinking room put BFB's in the greenhouse YET!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X