Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Kale in containers.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Kale in containers.

Hi

I've given in and am being brave enough to try growing the above this yr, I'm not sure how many plants I will need to sow for , how many containers/how many plants per container/container size&depth.
    I have troughs, storage boxes , round pots, sq pots of the 30,40,50cm heights.
    Do they need full sun? My deck has sun from midday , so half gets morning til late afternoon, other half gets sun midday til sunset.
    Also can the broccoli and kale be close to each other, I'm thinking netting from beasts.

I'm trying to plan what to grow where sorry for all the questions, I'm sure I will have more though

Thank you.
    Northern England.

Purple sprouting might be a stretch in containers, the plants are 4' tall at least and quite top heavy - you'd need very heavy soil in very large containers, one plant per pot, spaced a couple of feet apart.
    He-Pep!

Comment

Sorry I cant help as I dont have enough garden space to grow brocolli or kale and just didnt they were suitable for container growing. I am sure somebody else will have better advice for you.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Ah good job I haven't sown any yet then
        I suppose I could let them have bit of area nr greenhouse if OH will make me a bed of sorts. I shall have a think. Thanks anyway. May still try couple in pots for sheer daftness
        Northern England.

Comment

Re kale - depends on what sort you want to grow - they come in all shapes and sizes!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ale_71170.html

Comment

This thread may give you hope:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ots_64879.html
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Re kale - depends on what sort you want to grow - they come in all shapes and sizes!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ale_71170.html
              The seeds I have are dwarfs curled kale.
              Northern England.

Comment

I've just checked that list, I didn't know was so many types

Thanks big mally.
                Perhaps I should dig some of my heavy clay soil in the pots too, should keep them down
                Northern England.

Comment

That will probably be fine in a large container, just make sure you use a soil based compost like John Innes 3 to give the pot some weight.
                  He-Pep!

Comment

Thanks . Will do.
                    Northern England.

Comment

I am not growing PSB this year but when I do I get to a reasonable size in MFBs the bob it in my dustbins when the main crop spuds have been harvested. Any smaller container would be in danger of blowing over in bad weather.

My dwarf curly kale is again brought on in MFB and the follows my main crop onions into cut down plastic water tanks. If you have a container about 10 to 12 inches deep 3ft x 2ft you would get 2 plants in there.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I experimented with growing PSB and Brokali (tenderstem broccoli) in 30 litre buckets over winter. This was the result earlier this month:

These are in ordinary compost, not soil, and have been grown in mostly shady conditions. The Brokali started producing in December (now somewhat worse for wear) and the PSB was ready to start cutting when this photo was taken on 11th April.

You will get bigger plants if you grow them in the ground, but if you just want a small amount this sort of pot should be fine.
                        Attached Files
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone. I shall give their growing area some thought , espeshially as I have done some seeds now
                          Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X