Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing fennel for seed

Hi all,

I have some Fennel Sirio seed tapes which I am intending to sow (plant?!) - we love fennel seeds and use a lot of them so I'm planning on leaving them to go to seed.

Is there a particular type which is more suitable for seeds or will the sirio be fine? Can I sow them thicker for seed?

Thanks in advance

Fennel seeds for eating usually come from herb fennel not bulb fennel. Don't know why as the bulb ones go to seed quite readily for me. Are they edible too?

Comment

For seeds, you normally grow Herb Fennel (not the bulbing type - Florence fennel)- which Sirio is).

Growing Fennel | How To Grow | Grow Your Own

Comment

Thanks - I thought that might be the case!

Comment

This might explain what I bought at the weekend.
          Planted some Florance Fennel seed and half have made an appearance but I saw a potted one at the nursery and bought it. It is called Greeny, and there was no mention of bulb forming and the name sort of implied lots of green stuff.

I did ask but the person seemed unsure, also suspect they did not know of this difference, I didn't.

I now suspect I have some very small bulbing ones - additional seeds to be sown soon - and one that is going to be a big green thing. Going to sow a small tray of additional ones now, then head out on the bike.

Comment

Kirk, did they also have 'smokey' ? That's the bronze variety of the green one you have

I have herb fennel growing in the 'invasive' bed alongside the JA's, fennel seeds scattered on JA's while they are roasting help reduce the fartychoke effect
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

No just the one called "Greeny", which I can find no reference to so not sure what I have. If google turns up nothing I get perplexed. I checked the name twice as I thought they may have been describing it as Greenery not as the variety and I had misread it.

Went for a couple of other bits and this was there so I decided to get one, sort of easy backup to the very small shoots I have.

Looks healthy, suppose I could still end up with a bulb but no mention of bulb on the label - that was why I asked. Nice little independant nursery but I suspect they grow the varieties and maybe what is grown is not passed down. It was amongst the herbs not vegetables which was I suspect one reason why I asked. Is the difference in the forms sort of "herb fennel" and "bulbing fennel" ?

Small tray of 10 additional seeds sown this morning. Seem to be getting a 50% germination rate. But no real idea what I am doing. Only trying them as I roast one and it seemed nice and a friend is vegan, roast fennel seems a (maybe) different option.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X