Parsnips regrowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips regrowing

I have a few parsnips that were left in the ground and are growing again. Anyone know if these are still likely to be good to eat, or should I leave them to go to seed?

If you dig them up quick and take out the woody cores they will be fine.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

^^^but they are also good for saving seed. Fresh saved parsnip seed has no trouble germinating and the flowers are fantastic

Comment

when would one expect parsnips to run to seed? I have some that are regrowing and debating on leaving them for seed or dig up and compost

Comment

They will take up the ground most of the growing season, the flowers need to set seed and dry..so usually end Sept /beginning Oct for me. They are very large too.

Comment

On the subject of parsnips...I have not yet put any in this season an worry I may be a little late.

Apparently it's still ok to get em in now and that the advice on the packets to plant early can be ignored as it would be too cold when they suggest anyway.....any thoughts folks?
            sigpic

Comment

I am also late sowing. Last year it was also late and I had some huge ones. I had pre-chitted on damp kitchen roll though because I was unsure of the viability of the seed. I keep meaning to be more organised but I don't think they benefit from going out too early, especially on my heavy clay soil.

Comment

I've just sown my parsnips this week in paper tubes, they are in my greenhouse and are Palace F1 variety. I'm only growing them 'cos my other half likes them as I'm not keen on them at all.
                The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

I sow mine end of May direct in the ground when the soil has had a chance to warm up. Then cover them in fleece to encourage germination.
                  They don't get huge, but it works for me!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I sowed mine on Friday, any earlier is pointless as my ground is too cold. Always sow direct as I find it works better.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

That's sorted then........I'm gonna sow the little fellas at the weekend!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy_Boots View Post
                        I've just sown my parsnips this week in paper tubes, they are in my greenhouse and are Palace F1 variety. I'm only growing them 'cos my other half likes them as I'm not keen on them at all.
                        You don't like parsnips? Have you tried them with honey over the top of them before roasting?

First year i sowed direct and germination wasn't great. Ever since I've sowed them in late April (next two weeks) in toilet rolls and as soon as one root pokes out the bottom I transplant them all no matter how developed the others look.

Best I've had so far is 72cm!!!
                        Last edited by Stan79; 18-04-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Mine are in the ground now. Put them out a couple of weeks ago after pre-chitting them. Still no sign of them yet, but hopefully it won't be long.

Comment

Three sowings last year and the later sowing succeeded so I'm waiting a wile this year
                            sigpic
                            . .......Man Vs Slug
                            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X