Advice on Parsnips.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Parsnips.

I am planning on growing some parsnips for the very first time this year.I want to start them off in loo rolls.
    My question is, how long can I leave the parsnips growing in these loo rolls before they need to be planted out.I dont have much space so I will be waiting until the end of May before any space is available. Is this doable or am I wasting my time.?

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

I think you will have a good 7-8 weeks, as they take a couple of weeks to germinate and are very slow at the beginning. Good luck x
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Don't know how long it will take but loo rolls or newspaper tubes that I grow them in are the best way to start Parsnips off. Planting out means just bury the tube and there is no root disturbance.
      The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

They would need planting out as soon as the seeds germinate,which could be three weeks after sowing,this lady in the link shows a picture of how long the root grows 10cm at leaf emergence,they use kitchen rolls so there's less of a risk of the parsnips forking if the root touches the tray/runs out of compost. It could be timed so they're ready for planting when you are,with the toilet roll tubes?
        https://notjustgreenfingers.wordpres...ight-parsnips/

Comment

I tried with loo role tubes last year and it's hard work digging big holes for each loo role tube.

Last year i made some cone shaped holes in the soil with a dibber, filled the holes with loose compost and then planted a chitted (on wet paper towel in sealed container) parsnip seed onto the top of this compost and then covered it with a little more compost. I found this way much easier so this year, this is the only way i have done it.
          Last edited by Scoot; 05-04-2016, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I've grown parsnips for years and find the method Scoot uses best. I use an iron bar to make a really deep cone shaped hole filled with fine soil and put several chatted seeds on top of each and then thin to one per station. Keep manure well away from them or you will get forked roots and use fresh seed each year as it doesn't keep.

Result, parsnips that need a mini digger to get them out!
            Last edited by roitelet; 05-04-2016, 07:56 AM.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I changed over from loo rolls to chitting them like scoot does and its much easier.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I stopped using loo rolls for sowing anything, they always went mouldy or fell apart before I was ready to plant out. I bought some root trainers for things like beans and sweetcorn. For parsnips I also use the 'chit on paper' method, though i don't bother creating a hole when planting out, i just bung them in the raised bed - the soil is nice and fine in there anyway.
                He-Pep!

Comment

Seed Tapes/Discs/Sheets for me. So much easier.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm going to use seed tapes for my parsnips (and carrots) too - I'm hoping it works as it makes life easier all round!

Comment

Thanks all for the advice, lots to think about.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X