Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomatoes, Cucumbers and Melons Question.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes, Cucumbers and Melons Question.

Just wondering where the best place is for each - greenhouse or poly tunnel?

So far I'm thinking greenhouse for my tomatoes and tunnel for the other two.

I'm sure I read somewhere that cucumbers shouldn't be grown with tomatoes as they require different humidity or growing conditions and that melons don't like it too hot as you would get in a GH. The 30ft tunnel has green windbreak material halfway down for ventilation (previous guy grew leeks in there) and everything grew like a jungle in there last summer!

Seeds will be germinated in GH then young plants only moved to tunnel once the threat of frost has passed.
    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Either is fine and I grow them together perfectly successfully every year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've also grown toms and cuc together successfully too. Didn't notice any problems, I'm only on a small scale tho just growing in a GH.
      ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
      a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
      - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Well, you can buy indoor or outdoor cucumber seeds if you are short of space, you can also get tomato varieties that will grow well outdoors.
        Dont know too much about melons as I only grew them once but I would think they would need quite a bit of heat as they are tropical.
        I have grown tomatoes and cucumbers together year on year in the greenhouse without any problems.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

You can get outdoor and indoor cucumbers. Obviously the indoors would be better suited to a greenhouse, so it depends on what variety you have.

I've grown cucumbers and tomatoes together before fine, but I've never heard of not being able to grow them together?

Also melons are tropical plants and require a bit of heat so I would suggest growing them in a greenhouse.

Comment

The reasoning behind the advice not to grow tomatoes and cucumbers together is that cucumbers like a warm, humid atmosphere, precisely the conditions that encourage blight on tomatoes. You can get around this by misting the leaves of the cucumbers with water on hot days.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Melons can be grown in the same area as cucumbers (there's an amir F1 melon that apparently grows well outside here) but because they're related, the melons can pollinate the cucumbers and make them bitter from what I've read.
              Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Personally i prefer to grow melons in the poly,along with 1 variety of cue,reason being,pollinating each other and bitter fruits,but had no such bother with the melons.
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by AkionTotocha View Post
                  Melons can be grown in the same area as cucumbers (there's an amir F1 melon that apparently grows well outside here) but because they're related, the melons can pollinate the cucumbers and make them bitter from what I've read.
                  I wonder if that was what happened last year with my Marketmore cucumbers? I had two of those in a bed in the tunnel and right next to them I had two Hana cucumbers I got from Homebase. The Hana's were delicious, juicy and sweet but the Marketmore I found rather bitter

I will be attempting to grow two types of Melon this summer ~ watermelon 'sugar baby' and a striped heritage variety called Tigger. I have two types of cucumber this year ~ La Diva which can be grown outdoors so I was thinking one or two outside in a sunny sheltered spot and one or two indoors. My other cucumber is Dragon's Egg which I originally got as a novelty because Neil is nuts about dragons but apparently they're quite tasty too so I'm definitely looking forward to growing those

Will it make any difference if the melons are in the same greenhouse/polytunnel or should I have one in each so they cannot cross pollinate each other? Same with the cucumbers....perhaps have one at each end of the 30ft tunnel?
                  If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X