Freezing globe artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing globe artichokes

Having expanded our lottie empire by another half plot, we are now faced with a glut of globe artichokes.

How do I deal with them very quickly for the freezer as we are just unprepared for them meal wise this week.

I presume you've grown them because you like them piglet.

I just showed your posting to OH who has grown them in the past, and his comment was "chuck em on the compost heap, most overrated tasteless pap"

Having said that, my Robert Carrier book says:

"It is possible to blanch trimmed artichokes for 7-10 minutes then refresh and freeze for up to six months. Thaw for four hours then complete cooking.

Artichoke bottoms and the prepared centres of young, tiny ones can be cooked until almost tender then chilled and frozen for three months. Scrapings from the cooked leaves can be frozen (for use in sauces) if lemon juice is added before freezing. Use within one month."

Hope this is helpful,

valmarg

Comment

Cheers chuck

Comment

artichokes

Why not use some of them as cut flowers. People always stop and look at them in the window................a real show stopper

mark

Comment

Apparently they hold as flowers for ages - one of the allotment holders at the Hill grows them for the flower displays in the church.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X