Overgrown raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overgrown raspberries

Last year I took on two overgrown plots on the same site. Both have a veritable jungle of raspberry canes, intertwined with couch and nettles. Neither produced much fruit, although I think one plot seemed to be summer and the other autumn fruiting. After only clearing about half of each last year to enable some planting, the time has come to wage war. OH's opinion is to spray them with weedkiller, but although not fanatically organic I try to avoil pesticides and herbicides if possible. If I cut everything to ground level and buy black plastic, how long will it take to smother the whole lot?
    Last edited by BarleySugar; 20-02-2016, 02:21 PM.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Could you dig them out? I find raspberries fairly shallow rooted. Obviously I don't know the size of the area you are tackling. Offer free dig your own raspberries on your site?

Comment

I had two huge raspberries patches when I took the plot on. Revived one of them into a near(er) row and dug the other out. As said, they're shallow rooted and it wasn't difficult. Pulled out the bits I'd missed the following year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Raspberries grow like weeds on our site, so I don't think I'd get any takers. I was planning on digging them out, but due to the wet winter I'm behind.

The main plot was untended for around 4 years, so what was probably a reasonable row, going the width of the plot has now spread to a row about 6 or more foot wide. Even then there are suckers coming up in the paths between plots and further up and down my plot. Fresh growth is already beginning, and even though I'm going to transplant some roots to make a fresh stand, it does look a bit daunting. The couch and nettles will probably be as much, if not more of a problem than the raspberries tbh.
        Last edited by BarleySugar; 20-02-2016, 05:06 PM.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X