Broccoli recipe ideas (calabrese)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broccoli recipe ideas (calabrese)

I am going to make a load of puree and freeze for soups, and the usual pastas, quiche, broccoli cheese, tempura etc. But has anybody got some recipe ideas to use up some of this lot!! ideally so i can store for months i do not have any.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

You've already listed all the suggestions I would have made
    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

1. A recent discovery for me but perhaps well known? Instead of boiling or steaming, I now roast my broccoli. Small florettes and halve large ones, add salt and pepper, a little oil, juice from half a lemon, and any dried herb or spice you like (I love it with ras el hanout), toss together in a roasting tray and into the oven at about 180C for about 20 mins. The edges should just be starting to turn brown.

2. The best bit of broccoli the inner bit of the stalk, eaten raw. For me, it is a chef's prerequisite! Eaten while preparing meal.

3. Get a large roasting tin, fill the bottom with broccoli, tomatillos, quartered onion, chunks of red pepper, squares of aubergine, thick slices of courgette, whole small or halved large mushrooms. Mix about 100g of Harissa paste with the same amount of olive oil and some crushed garlic and spread over all the veg. Into oven at 200C for 15mins. Take out and slice the tomatillos so the juice escapes. Add about 20 cherry tomatoes and if desired, some thickly sliced chorizo. Mix it all up. Back into oven for 15 mins. Slice cherry toms before serving and mix well. Great with chili rice (see recipe in the cardamom thread), OR, while it's cooking boil potatoes and mash. Cover the veg with a layer of mashed potato and back into the oven for another 10 mins.

Comment

Lisa have a look here on this site I use it a lot when i run out of ideas :-

Healthy Recipes - Quick, Easy Recipe Ideas | Love Food Hate Waste
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks all some tasty ideas, the Spanish loves roasting with olive oil and lemon juice.
          I love pan fried with sea salt and pepper. Lots in a stir fry.

Would love to try and keep it for over the summer months when it is too hot to grow it. but it does not freeze well.
          I have a lot of the stove for puree now.

sigpic

Comment

The OH makes and freezes broccoli cheese....same recipe as cauliflower cheese

Comment

How about pickling it, the same way you would pickle cauliflower.

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

Nice!..................
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

Have you tired it?? is it nice???

sigpic

Comment

I've not tried broccoli but pickled cauliflower is nice. You need to use white (distilled) vinegar, not malted, so you keep the colour. I use the same recipe I use for pickled onions. You need to soak the florets overnight in brine, then rinse well, shake dry and put in jars.
                    For the vinegar, bring to the boil with your pickling spices, then leave till cool and pour over the florets, and seal the jars.

If you like a sweeter pickling vinegar, add up to 250g sugar per litre vinegar (depending on your taste) when you're bringing it to the boil, and simmer until all the sugar dissolves.
                    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

it doesnt help you with preserving it... but the big food trend for 2016 is apparantly spiralized broccoli stalk - replacing courgettes. Get ahead of the trend!

Other than that I couldn't think of anything other than puree-ing and freezing!

Comment

one recipe I have for any veg :

ingradients:

1. coconut powder and or any nut (I use peanuts but any nuts or mix will do to thicken the dish). I fry the nuts first in microwave or in a skillet and have them ready to blend with
                        2. chilli powder (can skip if you do not like ..but can be seasoned with ground pepper )
                        3. onion (can be substituted with any alliums) (slice or chop them)
                        4. some thing to add sourness ( I use tamarind..but happy with cooking apple or rubabrb ..or lime any thing)
                        5.any spice powder
                        6.cubed tomatos(optional)
                        6. oil and other whole spices for tempering

Process:

Heat a pan, add tempering ingradients and once it is done, add rest of the above stuff for shallow fry for 5 mins. then add them to blender with any nuts added.

cook the veg in the resulted puree. adjust salt and spices to taste.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X