Leeks and carrots in polytunnel?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeks and carrots in polytunnel?

What grows well in a polytunnel? I thought about leeks (because I have some ready to plant soon) and carrots early spring because I've struggled with them outdoors for the last couple of years, even with enviromesh around them! Grew loads of cucurbits in tunnel last year but wasn't impressed.

Oops, maybe I should have put this in the undercover section. Hopefully one of the Mods can move it!
    Last edited by Snadger; 10-12-2015, 05:01 PM. Reason: Wrong section
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

I grew mangetout over winter last year. Not doing it this year because................I'm growing them in the GH instead
    Had a good crop, earlier in the year than outside.

Comment

You've nowt to lose Snadge especially if they are ready to go out. The weather is barmy at the moment as I have lots of rogue tatties 1 foot high..............
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Snadger, are you talking about sowing now? My experience is that you would be better waiting until the days start to get longer after the new year. Lots of things will still need germinating indoors but will then grow on quite well eg spring cabbage, all year cauli, and yes, leeks but the growth can be really slow depending on the temperatures and light levels. This means the plants are a bit susceptible to mould/fungi and, a bit like very early sown tomatoes and chillies, I'm not sure they aren't better planted later when it's more to their liking.

Carrots will still get root fly unless you fleece them and the blessed things (flies) thrive in the tunnel.

If you are talking about all year round I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
        Last edited by marchogaeth; 10-12-2015, 07:32 PM.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
          Carrots will still get root fly unless you fleece them and the blessed things (flies) thrive in the tunnel.[/URL] highly enough.
          I find that I get really bad carrot fly damage in the open beds unless I cover in enviromesh from sowing to harvest but I don't need any cover in the tunnel. Sow in February and harvest over the summer. Have tried autumn sowings but don't find it worth the bother.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
            Snadger, are you talking about sowing now? My experience is that you would be better waiting until the days start to get longer after the new year. Lots of things will still need germinating indoors but will then grow on quite well eg spring cabbage, all year cauli, and yes, leeks but the growth can be really slow depending on the temperatures and light levels. This means the plants are a bit susceptible to mould/fungi and, a bit like very early sown tomatoes and chillies, I'm not sure they aren't better planted later when it's more to their liking.

Carrots will still get root fly unless you fleece them and the blessed things (flies) thrive in the tunnel.

If you are talking about all year round I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
            Book looks good M! I'll try and get it a bit cheaper if I can though. I have leeks and ballhead spring cabbage along with pointy spring cabbage to plant now but I was realy thinking more of summer growing ie sowing seed in late Feb/March instead of May outside.
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The authors of that book also have a website although not much happens on it ----------but its free Greenhouses & polytunnels | Farm In My Pocket | Farm In My Pocket

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                The authors of that book also have a website although not much happens on it ----------but its free Greenhouses & polytunnels | Farm In My Pocket | Farm In My Pocket
                Cheers VC!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just gurgled this which looks canny!

http://www.theallotmentshed.co.uk/wp...und-part-1.pdf

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Where's part 2 Snadge?
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                      Where's part 2 Snadge?
                      I haven't got that far yet but I think if you scroll down there's a clickable link?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Book looks good M! I'll try and get it a bit cheaper if I can though.
                        I understand where you are coming from. I got it from the local library originally. In fact, when I was thinking of getting a tunnel, I got every book the library had out! I have bought other books since but honestly, it is the only one I ever needed or you will ever need.

So February (but watch the germination temperatures required as previous post)
                        Broad beans - harevst May/June (I do them over winter but they would only be a month/six weeks earlier)
                        Cabbage - harvest as and when spring type do well all year round.
                        Carrots (all I'd say is you can go without flies like Alison but if ever you get them in there they are there from early season to late.)
                        Cauliflower (grown in the tunnel they are like no cauli you have ever eaten - buttery/creamy and so delicate.) All Year Round really is.
                        Celariac - harvest august (not sure why you'd bother, though)
                        Swiss Chard (an all year round tunneler)
                        Corriander (if you can get the bl***y stuff to germinate)
                        Garlic (I do it in buckets then hoik it outside as the weather warms up)
                        Kohl rabi (I don't grow it any more.)
                        Lettuce
                        Spring onions
                        Peas (I'd only bother with mange tout)
                        Early potatoes
                        Radish
                        Rocket
                        Spinach
                        Strawberries
                        Turnips for harvest small in May/June

I've left out things like peppers/toms/aubergines.
                        Last edited by marchogaeth; 11-12-2015, 09:12 PM. Reason: I didn't steal the book - I bought it later!!!
                        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X