Swiss Chard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Chard

Never grown this till this year when I grew about twenty in 4" pots intending to use the vibrant colours as part of a display in a wheelbarrow. In the event, they hadn't grown sufficiently and I have twenty bonny multicoloured plants in pots at the back door.

Couple of questions.

1. What is its value in the kitchen?

2. Is it worth planting them out? I'm really asking if they are best grown as an annual or as a biennial or as a perpetual.

I could of course just gurgle this but we're a wee bit short of gardening questions just now and some of you lot will have the answers

In the kitchen the leaves can be cooked like spinach and I prefer them to spinach. The stalks are edible and the French make a gratin from them. It is a bi annual so even when it begins to go to seed in the spring the flavor of the leaves doesn't change so you can go on eating it until you are fed up with it.

20 plants is a lot! For two of us I have 6 outside and 6 in the tunnel for when the weather is bad and I am giving it away!!!!
    Last edited by roitelet; 09-11-2015, 01:06 PM.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I knew someone would come up with the info I needed. Guess I need to find a home for some of my plants

Comment

Cheesy chard gratin | BBC Good Food

Comment

Could plant it in the plot and what doesn't get eaten is great to add to the compost
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Chard is a very under rated vegetable IMO. Really love it's earthy flavour, stalks are also far nicer than the leaves.
            Death to all slugs!

Comment

Do you have chickens, mine absolutely love it and i could give kilos to them a day, so if you have the space why not.
              They sauté it over here in olive oil with garlic, peppers, potatoes and almonds. It is really lovely like that.
              I also use it raw in salad again very nice.
              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                Do you have chickens,
                No, but I know a very nice lady who does and better still, she will happily plant some up just for the chooks

Comment

Or you could swap the chard for eggs
                  I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Nowt like a bit of barter

Comment

One plant is too much for us!

Comment

It is also very hardy so should do well in Aberdeen (if that is where you are growing)

Comment

next year (my 1st year) I am dedicting an 8x4 bed for the chickens. no1 on my list is chard, followed closely by cabbage, you never know I might even get some for the table LOL
                          Last edited by janzbro; 09-11-2015, 09:22 PM.
                          82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Originally posted by Filbert View Post
                            It is also very hardy so should do well in Aberdeen (if that is where you are growing)
                            People keep saying this but unless the winter is very mild I don't find it survives outside so always put some in the tunnel overwinter now. Perpetual spinach is much hardier than the pretty coloured charts though.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

How do you grow it ? any tips or is it just a case of throw it on and let it go
                              82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X