2 questions on squashes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 questions on squashes

This summer I obtained some “Sharks Fin Melon Squash” seeds and they proved very productive. About 6 large oval squashes produced per seed, larger than a football, weighing a hefty 10-12lbs (4.5-5.5 kilograms) each, attractive mottled green skin. The name comes from the fact they are a squash but look like a large water melon and evidently make a soup similar to the much disputed “shark’s fin” soup of Chinese cuisine (Wikipedia suggests it’s the texture rather than the taste which distinguishes shark’s fin soup, I haven’t tried either). I ended up with so many I even used some as auxiliary pumpkins for Halloween.

Inside the squash its seeds are not grouped centrally (as usual in a melon for instance) but are in columns running throughout the very pithy white spongy flesh of the squash. I’m wondering two things:
    a) will the seeds be fertile and come true to form? And
    b) how would you make the soup? Extract the seeds and stew the stringy white gunge?

LOL, sounds delicious doesn’t it? bb

Attached Files

No idea on the soup - Norfolkgrey's growing them so I hope she stops by. As to the seeds, you should be fine. They are cucurbita ficifolia and shouldn't have crossed with anything else you have growing - they won't have crossed with other melons, squashes or cucumbers.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

PS Love the carved ones - much more scary than the orange ones!
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Thanks Sparrow, I'll give them a try. The Halloween ones were much commented upon - the photo was taken afterwards but on the night they were in a family grouping with flickering candles, mum, dad and green kids, very scary.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X