immigrant parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• immigrant parsnips

do you think parsnips would emmigrate to northern Italy happily (PV, padana plain) ?

I have never seen them sold here and I can't get seed here (but can order from the UK) but before I do I was wondering, would they cope with the climate ? As in less rain and hot and sunny in summer (well not so much this year, been great...like a good British summer, my blood pressure rejoices ) and then a cold winter.

I miss parsnips but a combo of being new to gardening (espcially vegatables) and doing it in a place where they have no tradition, maybe for a very good reason of inhospitable conditions is putting me off. I am still at that stage where it is all feels a bit complicated and don't want to set myself up for failure, need to grow the confidence alongside the veggies LOL

Do you reckon they would like it here ?

Carrots grow,as do some kind of turnip looking thing, never seen a swede though.

Hi and welcome to the vine sarahinitaly. Lucky you to be worrying about too much sun!

Sorry, I can't really help with the parsnip question but I am sure that more knowledgeable grapes will be along to advise you soon. If I were you though I would just try a packet of seed and see what happens
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

not so lucky M

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Hi and welcome to the vine sarahinitaly. Lucky you to be worrying about too much sun!

Sorry, I can't really help with the parsnip question but I am sure that more knowledgeable grapes will be along to advise you soon. If I were you though I would just try a packet of seed and see what happens
      I coped just fine for years in Thailand but the Italian sun (and this maybe has something to do with humidity) seems to knock me for six and make me fall over with low blood pressure, well I am blaming the "Italian sun" but it may be a way to just avoid the reality that it might be age.

Are parsnip the kind of seed you plant in Feb/March or the winter ones ?

You are right, I should just try, what is the worst that can happen, they don't grow and I sulk for a bit, best case senario I give the extras to the local shop, start a craze, refuse to name the plant and become a millionare being the sole parsnip producer in Lomellina as crazed gourmets beat a path for the newest thing in root vegtables.

Sarah

Comment

I have a packet of seed here, says to sow Feb to April. I didn't actually get round to sowing any so the packet is full. If you want me to send it to you, PM me your address.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Oh you are lovely !!

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
          I have a packet of seed here, says to sow Feb to April. I didn't actually get round to sowing any so the packet is full. If you want me to send it to you, PM me your address.

And ricipricated, have a look at this link ....you will need to click on "Sementi da Orto",(veg) or "Sementi da Fiore" (flowers) if there is somwthing you fancey let me know

ok, I have looked for a PM button, PM button is being elusive, where is PM button ?

Comment

Click on shirlthegirl43 (green) and a drop down box will appear, select 'send shirthegirl43 a private message' then follow on.
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I have sent you a PM - near the top of the page, where it says Welcome, sarahinitaly, you will see a green link 'private messages' - click there and you will find the message.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X