Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Identify these beans, fruit canes and grapes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify these beans, fruit canes and grapes?

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I've just taken on my first allotment plot, and there are there a few plants already there that I'd like to identify, so I care for them correctly.

Firstly, I've got a fruit cane, which is in an area that used to be a compost heap that someone apparently planted blackberries in, but I'm not so sure it looks like a blackberry cane. It's very upright. I would have said raspberry possibly. There is a raspberry patch on the site, and I suppose it could have grown from a composted cane/fruit.

Secondly, I have a huge grapevine. I've no experience with grapes at all, so I don't know if posting pics here will be enough, or if I'll need to take them to a professional for identification.

Finally, some beans which have died back, but there are a few pods. I think they're very cool looking, and nothing I've grown before, so it would be nice if I could save them and grow them next year. They may well be a hybrid, so possibly I'll not get the same again, but I've plenty of space to try things out. I've looked in a book, and on google, and I think they look like some sort of borlotti bean. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dilettante; 18-10-2015, 10:55 PM.

Those beans look distinctly like borlotti beans. Ours are climbers but I think you can get bush ones.

Can't help with anything else, fruit's not my game.

Comment

No idea about the grapevine- but have you asked your lottie neighbours?
      With all those bunches some of them will surely have been shared with your neighbours???
      Someone would surely have asked- just out of interest- what variety it is????
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Photo 1 is a bit blurry but yes looks more like raspberry than blackberry. This looks like a cane that has finished for the year. Look around the axe are there new green shoots for next year?
        The last photo looks a bit like a currant or is it another view of photo 1. Blackcurrants conveniently smell of blackcurrants.

Comment

Photo 1 looks a bit like a Japanese Wineberry. Any softish red bristles on the stem or around the fruit?
          Last photo looks like raspberry that's been deadheaded with new canes around the base?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Photo 1 looks a bit like a Japanese Wineberry. Any softish red bristles on the stem or around the fruit?
            Last photo looks like raspberry that's been deadheaded with new canes around the base?
            Apologies, I accidentally mislead everyone. The first and last pictures were from the same plant, I just uploaded them in the wrong order. I've not seen a japanese wineberry, will have to google. I've since found a note referencing gooseberries and blueberries. Could it be either of those?

Chippy Minton, I mean to say borlotti, not bush sorry. Need to engage my brain when typing, the website I was on talked about bush varieties.

Comment

Gooseberries have thorns; blueberries will have autumn coloured leaves. Doesn't look like either of those.
              You can get dwarf borlotti beans.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Gooseberries have thorns; blueberries will have autumn coloured leaves. Doesn't look like either of those.
                You can get dwarf borlotti beans.
                Thanks for the tips! I shall keep my eye out and see if anything springs up with autumny leaves or thorns. I suspect there might be something hidden near the main cane fruit bed. These were defo not dwarf plants, climbing away on huge canes, I was being a bit dense. I'm just hoping I find a note somewhere that tells me what variety they are so I can see if it's worth trying to grow them next year or not.

Comment

Well the saved beans should come true to seed. To be honest I think you will find it difficult to pin the exact variety down and taste wise, I think they all taste much the same too (perhaps that's just me?) I grow Lingua de fuoco which is a climbing variety, also grew some dwarf ones this year and apart from the cream background being slightly whiter they were pretty much the same.

Comment

Are the grapes nice and sweet with a couple of pips in the larger ones? Are they in a greenhouse?

If yes they could be Black Hamburg (like mine)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X