No announcement yet.

Runner Bean seed saving - harvest now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner Bean seed saving - harvest now?

Sorry, I've re-read the threads from search, but haven't got a categoric answer...

The runner beans pods I'm saving for seed have been fully swelled for weeks now, but nowhere near yellow. The vines have stopped producing but are still lush and green. I really need to be clearing that end of the plot, though.

Can I harvest the pods green and dry them in the growhouse in my backyard?

Ta!

It's really best to leave them as long as you can as otherwise they are more likely to rot.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Bee there's a good seed saving article here on Real Seeds :-

How To Save Your Own Seed at Home
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I guess I'll have to leave them awhile.

I read that, Bren, but found it really off-putting, suggesting I shouldn't consider saving seed unless at least half a mile from the nearest runner bean... Eeek!

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
          I read that, Bren, but found it really off-putting, suggesting I shouldn't consider saving seed unless at least half a mile from the nearest runner bean... Eeek!
          Runner beans are likely to cross with any it her type of runner within about half a mile (Frenchies are much less tarty ) however unlike squashes that often hybridise to something a bit rubbish, 99% of the time runners will produce something perfectly edible, just not necessarily the same as the original seed you planted.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Another question....

What about frost? Do I need to get them in before it frosts, whether they're still green or not?

Ta.

Comment

Yes, get them in if a frost is coming. I find they dry OK off the plant if the pods have started going thin and leathery. If they are still thick and fleshy it's probably better to eat them as shelly beans. What kind of grow house? Is it heated? Usually I dry mine indoors. Near my desktop computer or on top of it is a good place for drying all kinds of seeds because of the gentle heat and fan.

Comment

Timber and polycarb growhouse in our back yard, which is very sheltered and has sandstone flags which hold the heat. However, if it's wet, it's a very damp spot, so maybe not.

Comment

Well, that's that, then. *g* They weren't even remotely leathery, and we had our first frost last night.

Ho hum.

There's always next year.

Comment

How are the plants looking after the frost? Was it bad enough to damage them? Did you pick the pods and bring them in before it? Maybe they'd do ok in a dry place indoors. But definitely nowhere that could get damp.
                    Last edited by Zelenina; 15-10-2015, 08:49 AM.

Comment

As long as the beans are fully formed (bulging in the pod), my experience is that they are fine. Pick the pods and spread them out on newspaper somewhere dry - I use a north-facing windowsill. Turn them now and again to help them dry out. Don't shell them until the pods are brown and crispy and pop open when you squeeze them.
                      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Alright, I'll go and rescue them today, thanks.

Although 'nowhere damp' does make me laugh - there's nowhere anywhere in our house that's not damp sometimes! ;-) One memorable wet summer, the furniture in the dining room went mouldy...

Conversely, winters aren't so bad, because the heating's on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X