fruit fly on raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fruit fly on raspberries

i have autumn raspberry canes, last year i noticed small maggots in the rasberry flesh and ended up having to throw the whole crop. this year i bought some spray with deltamethrin thinking i was dealing with raspberry beetles, but i still have teeny tiny maggots inside the flesh and when i walk past loads of tiny flies fly up and i think the problem is fruit flies. how on earth doi tackle this other than taking off the fruits before they are ripe enough to eat ( they seem to prefer the riper fruits). have never had fruit flies before.

Welcome to the Vine! It does sound like fruit flies. There seem to be a lot around at the moment, probably due to the warmer weather of late (assuming you are UK based) . My compost bin is a bit of a no go area. Personally I would prefer not to spray anything I was about to eat so I think you will need to pick regularly to remove their food source and clear away any fallen fruits promptly. Someone else may be along with another solution soon.

Comment

It could well be that new-to-the-uk fruitfly, the Spotted Wing Drosophila. We had a thread about it earlier this year: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...est_86079.html
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
        Welcome to the Vine! It does sound like fruit flies. There seem to be a lot around at the moment, probably due to the warmer weather of late (assuming you are UK based) . My compost bin is a bit of a no go area. Personally I would prefer not to spray anything I was about to eat so I think you will need to pick regularly to remove their food source and clear away any fallen fruits promptly. Someone else may be along with another solution soon.
        thank you, yes, i am in the u.k! i don't like using chemicals either, this was the first time after losing all of last years crop.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
          It could well be that new-to-the-uk fruitfly, the Spotted Wing Drosophila. We had a thread about it earlier this year: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...est_86079.html
          thanks for the links, you have confirmed it! two spots on the wings. there doesn't seem much that can be done other than buying expensive traps and then using a pesticide for the adults, though the article mentioned didn't say what type. i will try the salt wash that they mention.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X