Strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries

Just read on the "what are you going to plant in September" about putting strawberries in the green house over winter. I grew mine in pots this year and they were fantastic. Why would one put them in the green house over winter, I thought they were hardy. Mine were left outside all winter albeit in the ground. Are they more susceptible in baskets.
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Basically to get an early crop in the Spring.

Comment

Oh I see thanks
      Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

I was under the impression strawberries need a period of cold before they produce fruit, so I left mine outisde until February before bringing them into the greenhouse. They produced fruit in mid May, a month before the same variety (Marshmello) outside.
        Last edited by Penellype; 28-08-2015, 08:08 AM.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

All mine are in tyres as the black rubber gives more insulation than a normal pot so they are left to their own devices all year round. I do however, cover a few of the plants with the big square water bottles in early March to give them a bit of umph!

I trimmed all mine down a few weeks ago and now they are all in full leaf with 3 plants having new flowers.
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Last year quite by accident I left 3 new runners in the GH over winter, got my earliest strawberries ever a month before Wimbledon, however that left me 3 runners short for my outside pots Picture dated 24/04/15.

So pleased that this year I have done 9 extra runners specifically for the GH.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 28-08-2015, 02:02 PM.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have 12 plants in a 1 sqm bed in the polytunnel permanently, and they start producing several weeks before the ones outside. I love being able to pick early peas, broad beans, potatoes (when I remember ) and strawberries before the season's even properly begun, fab
              sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

That was exactly my plan, to get an early harvest of lovely strawberries courtesy of unheated GH. I have only ever grown them outside in potato bags before, with successful results and thought 'why not' give it a whirl. I've tons of space begging to be used in GH anyway!
                ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X