grow perenial garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grow perenial garlic

has any one tried before?? wanna give try, with 6 elephant garlic cloves I have with me now.

can I try this with normal garlic as well?I like the idea of not to bother sowing , ground preparation every year for garlic.

I don't understand Elfeda, what do you mean? You have to sow garlic every year.

Comment

Elephant garlic is part of the leek family, You could leave them in the ground for ever, but, if you want to eat some you have to dig it up and take some cloves off it. You can then replant some of the cloves, just as you can with ordinary garlic.

Comment

I read any garlic can be grown as perenial!!!

10 Perennial Vegetables To Plant This Year - ThePrepperProject.com

Comment

^^^ You can and it is eaten as green garlic. You get small cloves as and when, rather than annual bulbs. Depends on your preferences. Try a perennial patch and an annual patch. I did perennial for a couple of years due to time restraints and am now going back to annual, as I tend to use it most as a winter crop anyway.

Comment

NG, it is not about eating greens...only bulbs..but we need to let dormant the first year bulbs...then harvest bulbs from bigger plants next year on...

Comment

I would be concerned about white rot if any allium is grown in the same location for an extended time
              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
                NG, it is not about eating greens...only bulbs..but we need to let dormant the first year bulbs...then harvest bulbs from bigger plants next year on...
                When you grow them as a perennial you are not likely to get the size bulbs you have been used to. I have found green garlic is a term used more for 'fresh garlic' rather than the the growing 'greenery'.

Edit: I don't know if you have ever known what garlic does when left. Over winter it can go rotten and slimely and it uses up that bulby energy to see it through winter and the other thing it does is splits, so each clove grows. Someone may have a knack but I never found that garlic was much cop at growing bulbs when left in a group of cloves. It would explain a lot when annual practice is to split cloves on planting. Good luck with what ever you do
                Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 28-08-2015, 07:36 AM.

Comment

<<<<and the other thing it does is splits, so each clove grows>>>

I am trying to fallow this. would like to start as it saves some planting seed collecting efforts . though theere would be less or no yeilds first year..but next year on there would be enough garlic.

The One-Straw Revolution

Comment

Try it and see, Elfeda. That's the only way to satisfy yourself.Let us know how you get on.
                    As NorfolkGrey suggested, try one patch of annual and one patch of perennial and compare!

Comment

yup. i would like to pick few in the first year and sow squashes in that gaps(to sprawl out side of unworked patch) , so if garlic fails I can hope for the squash crop . and also will sow autumn and spring garlic extra for the current year..
                      Last edited by Elfeda; 28-08-2015, 08:27 AM.

Comment

You could also include some garlic chives as they give a lovely taste to salads etc without having to use any standard garlic.
                        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I remember reading about this a while back. Sounds interesting but not totally convinved. 20 years and no build of disease though. What's that about? I do fancy giving it a go.

Comment

Havent tried it myself but might leave one elephant garlic in the ground next year. From the ones harvested this year there were about 5 small "corms" attached to each bulb - so I'd imagine they'd divide quite well over the next year.

Another alternative is Crow Garlic - allium vineale. I get it naturally amongst the grass on our allotment (if you dont mow). It pops up in Spring and lasts til about early/mid summer. Basically they are thin garlic flavoured spring onions. Think I sent some to the seed swap? Not sure. You let the flower go to seed and you get a load of bulbils off the top of the plants. Plant these in late winter/early spring.

can buy them here https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/produ...neale-bulbils/

but you should find them in the south of england. Think they have purple flowers and the smell of garlic if you mow them.

Also, you got ramps/wild garlic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X