Cracked/split pears

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked/split pears

I bought a pear tree 2 years ago. Last summer the fruit was growing well until June when cracking appeared and then black around the fruit cracks -it looked as if i had had a bonfire next to the tree and soot had landed on the fruit. A garden centre member of staff said it could be caused by lack of water. (At the time I knew of a mole run close to the tree, which more than likely caused gaps/cavities the soil therefore cutting down the amount of water the tree could take up).

Last autumn I carefully dug up the pear tree and moved it to a new part of the garden, away from the mole route. I dug a huge hole -deep and wide, dug in well rotted manure, fish blood and bone and replanted the tree. All has been well -good leaf cover, lots of blossom and lots of fruit formed. Inspite of the rain I have also been giving it additional buckets of water -this beeing it's 1st year since (re) planting.

However about a month ago I noticed dark brown/black splodges/speckles on alot of the fruit. In the last week fruit have developed cracks -some maybe a millimetre in depth -quite deep considering the fruit is so small. Some fruit remains uncracked. Some cracks run almost the length of the fruitlet.

I am desperate to find out what is wrong and try and correct the problem. I have 2 apple trees in the garden which have never had a problem, although I appreciate it is a different fruit. This is my first go on the grapevine, and i would love to hear if someone has had this problem and managed to solve it.

Split Pears - Me Too

I have exactly this problem. But I don't have moles and it hasn't stopped raining here.

Can anyone answer this?

Grannysue

Originally posted by muddy mitts View Post
    I bought a pear tree 2 years ago. Last summer the fruit was growing well until June when cracking appeared and then black around the fruit cracks -it looked as if i had had a bonfire next to the tree and soot had landed on the fruit. A garden centre member of staff said it could be caused by lack of water. (At the time I knew of a mole run close to the tree, which more than likely caused gaps/cavities the soil therefore cutting down the amount of water the tree could take up).

Last autumn I carefully dug up the pear tree and moved it to a new part of the garden, away from the mole route. I dug a huge hole -deep and wide, dug in well rotted manure, fish blood and bone and replanted the tree. All has been well -good leaf cover, lots of blossom and lots of fruit formed. Inspite of the rain I have also been giving it additional buckets of water -this beeing it's 1st year since (re) planting.

However about a month ago I noticed dark brown/black splodges/speckles on alot of the fruit. In the last week fruit have developed cracks -some maybe a millimetre in depth -quite deep considering the fruit is so small. Some fruit remains uncracked. Some cracks run almost the length of the fruitlet.

I am desperate to find out what is wrong and try and correct the problem. I have 2 apple trees in the garden which have never had a problem, although I appreciate it is a different fruit. This is my first go on the grapevine, and i would love to hear if someone has had this problem and managed to solve it.

Comment

I had this problem for the last few years but this year (for the first time) my pears seem to be growing as they should - this will be their third summer in the ground so I think it's just that they've finally got established as I've not done anything different.
      I was beginning to think that it was the frost damaging the buds (although this spring seemed to be a bit milder so maybe it was) and was going to move them if they did the same again this year.

I would give them chance to establish - most trees take about three years to really get their roots down so if you've moved them then it might be another couple of years before you get some decent fruit

edit - I planted out a apple tree at the same time as these and had a decent crop the first year, think they must have quicker roots
      Last edited by purplekat; 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

You guys have probably already figured this out by now, but I still feel the need to say something because no one had a answer. It is more than likely pear scab. Pear scab infects the blooms so when you start seeing the pears crack and split midway or at the end of the season there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Spray early with an orchard spray with captan in it when the blooms are opening. This is my first year with a pear tree, so I don't know it all yet.

It could also be something else. Check with your county extension office. That's what I did.

Comment

Found a link on scab Apple Scab & Pear Scab By the way, welcome to the Vine Shyart, could you add your location to your profile please.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X