Saving tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving tomatoes?

With all the crap weather around my greenhouse toms are suffering....

There has been precious little sun, but it has been very humid. I've vented the greenhouse when the temperatures got too high, and made sure I watered the soil etc.

Unfortunately, over the last 5 or so days, our garden has flooded numerous times. This has also flooded my greenhouse

All my tomatoes (bar 1 Sungold plant) are looking spindly, straggly and have yellowing of the leaves.

Are they destined for the green bin? Is there anything else I can do to save them?

Thanks

OWG

What a shame OWG. If the weather picks up, your tomatoes might be fine so don't rush to the compost heap. Wait and see.
    Can you take some cuttings off them to root - just in case.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
      Can you take some cuttings off them to root - just in case.
      I didn't know you could do that, Alice - how do you go about it?

Comment

OWG, the flooding of the greenhouse has probably leeched all nutrients out of the soil. The tomatoes are likely to be lacking food. A good dose of Tomorite, or equivalent, should hopefully help.

valmarg

Comment

I agree that a good dose of feed is in order. My first choice would be seaweed extract if you can get it, followed by tomorite.
          Keep a steady nerve ....talk reassuringly to them...get the cheese butties ready....(!!)
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hazel, if you just put the pinched out side shoots in water they will root. Voila ! New tomato plants !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I hope they recover OWG. My next-door neighbour had flood water in his greenhouse and lost some toms too.

By the way, is The Race today? Best of luck with it.

Flum
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Morning all!

Thanks, will give them a good dose of seaweed extract (bought some a few weeks ago) and will try and root some of the sideshoots I would normally pinch off!

All is not lost!

Flum: yes, my race is today. I'm thinking of racing in wellies, as I'm fairly sure the ground is sodden!

Comment

Is it too late to try rooting sideshoots now, for a crop this year? (In case we get an 'indian summer'). I didnt realise you could do this - my lesson for today!!
                  Good luck with the race OWG, asking for a dry spell for you! - mine is in two weeks time.
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

You never know your luck. Some that I took when the plants were small are lots smaller than the parent plant but are setting fruit.

Phreddy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X