Why is my greek basil dying ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my greek basil dying ?

I am getting to think most things I touch goes wrong with regards plants grown or shop bought. I bought a greek basil from a nursery. Potted it on in multi purpose compost and kept in a sunny aspect as requested on the label. Not over/under watered and some of the leaves are now dying. The stem is turning very dark and I can see some other stems starting to take on the same dark colour.

What can I do to save this before it fades away please ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marb67; 16-07-2015, 11:23 AM.

I'm not at all an expert but it looks as if it might be a bit overcrowded in the middle of the pot. I'm sure someone much more experienced will be along though.

You can root some cuttings in water so that you have some spare for if it keels over completely. They root very easily and grow well from cuttings.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Try giving it a high nitrogen liquid feed,its what leaves love. I use miracle grow,it saved my basil plants a couple of times. I can't see a problem in the photo,but could you pinch out yellow leaves maybe?

Comment

I would give it a haircut to encourage it to send out new growth. Root some of the cuttings.

Are the stems just going woody? My ordinary basil is doing that right now.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

The photo doesn't really show very well but the leaves on one of the stems are dying. As for overcrowded, this is exactly how it was purchased. I potted it on so more space for the plant. One website says it needs a loamy, acid soil. Another says multi purpose. Another says rich organic matter hence why I have asked here.

I bought one of these from waitrose a couple of years ago and it lasted months.
          Last edited by Marb67; 16-07-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Perhaps the stem that is dying was damaged - maybe before you bought it or when you potted it on. Just cut it off and use the rest.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X