Under planting currant cordons with strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under planting currant cordons with strawberries

On my plot I'm going to have one edge planted up with Gooseberries amd red currants trained up supports as triple cordons. The bed will be 2 foot wide with the currants planted towards the back giving me 12-18" of space ay the front.

Would it be a good idea to under plant strawberries into this space in the beds.

Im going to have to move my strawberries and pineberries from the old plot that they're pn to my new plot and don't have any where else to put them yet.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

I would. I have 2 1mx5m beds with gooseberries in one and redcurrants in another. Both underplanted with strawberries. It works well for me, though I am kicking out all the strawberries for a couple of years as they've reached the end of their life and I want to give the bed a rest.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I've underplanted my raspberry canes with strawberries this year. It's a bit early to say whether it has worked or not, although both sets of plants look healthy. The strawberries haven't produced any fruit yet, unlike strawberries in sunnier parts of my plot. But I put them in mainly to stop weeds growing there and it has helped.
      My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Thanks guys. I was wondering if they would compete with each other for potassium

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

You should stop "wondering" and just do it
          Are the strawbs on the sunny side of the fruit bushes?
          I'm going to use all my old strawbs and surplus runners as ground cover around the fruit bushes.

Comment

Well, ill be waiting till I've demolished the old bed, cleared the ground, the bushes are in and the strawberries have finished fruiting. Maybe tomorrow

I can always add rockdust to boost up the potassium.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X