Home-made solutions for Aphids?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home-made solutions for Aphids?

Just noticed a load of the little sods at the very base of my young onions. Scraped them off the ones I could see. Any solutions you can make from home to spray on to stop them?

Weak soapy water used frequently. The best is soft soap but if you haven't got any and soap will do just a very little in the water.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

IS it normal for the first onion leaves to start falling over even if the onions are literally no where near ready. Some of mine have started to fall over and I can't remember them doing it in previous years this early. It's literally just some of the first and biggest leaves.

Any ideas anyone? Is it normal.

Comment

Almost anything you do to get rid of aphids will also get rid of the bugs that eat them. A jet of water will shift them. Not sure about your leaves - any pics?
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Yes...

As you can see, some of the green leaves are just lying flat on the soil or to be bent over. Is it normal for them to fall over so early?
          Last edited by Scoot; 29-06-2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Are you growing them from seed or sets?
            It looks like the seed leaves are falling over.

Comment

From seed. I think they're too big to be the seed leaves.

Comment

If you look, you can see the seed leaves have fallen on some of them but then so have the next leaves as well.

Comment

I used these guys for the Aphids

didnt work
                  Last edited by jackarmy; 29-06-2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I am absolutely no expert and hopefully someone will be along shortly but they do look a bit unhappy! Do you think they are a bit small compared with previous years or even a bit fleshy/weak? I think I'd be thinking of a general feed and see if you could move them on from whatever is causing the problem. Presumably the aphid infection points to them being "under the weather".
                    "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I fed them yesterday. To be honest, the leaves that are still standing up straight are healthy and there is new leaves growing all the time. Just for some reason the biggest leaves just seem to bend over or lie flat. Could I have over watered them?

They seem to be the same size as any other year.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about it. These are mine (sets, planted in February). I consider this quite normal - by this time of year they are starting to form bulbs and the foliage has a tendency to collapse. Soon the tops will fall over and start to die off, and then I will ease them out of the soil a bit and take them under cover if the weather is wet.

Attached Files
                        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Oh well, that's OK then. I didnt think it was too bad, I just can't remember if it happened last year or not. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

This happens a lot to my onions, unless you support them with canes and onion support clips. i just look the other way and they sort themselves out.
                            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                              This happens a lot to my onions, unless you support them with canes and onion support clips. i just look the other way and they sort themselves out.
                              That's exactly what I shall be doing. It looks a bit of a mess but as long as I have decent onions come the autumn, I don't care.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X