Picking Kale

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking Kale

This is going to sound a bit daft, but when do I start picking my kale leaves.

They have been in the ground about 6 weeks now and are about 50 cm tall.

I have read differing things online from picking the lower leaves early to waiting till January as the frost makes them sweeter.

So which is it?

If they are big enough and you would eat them, you could start picking when you like. I have other brassicas now so my kale wasn't sown til a few weeks ago and the plants small.

Comment

I wasn't sure either. But today I picked a few of the outer leaves as I couldn't wait any longer

Comment

Mine are still tiny as I try to plan things so that I get kale in the Winter when there is little else available but if it has grown and you fancy it now............get picking.

Comment

My Sutherland and east friesian kale both have decent sized leaves so have been picking one or two from each plant( there are probably about 20) and they don't seem bothered by it. They taste wonderful.
          No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

With start picking mine as soon as the leaves are about the size of my hand or just a bit smaller. I have just read somewhere that you are supposed to pick the top leaves to encourage the plant to grow side shoots. I have always picked the bigger lower leaves but the plant ends up being a tall plant which is all stalk!! Might try picking the upper leaves as I have read this year
            All my projects including my brewing adventures!

www.make-your-own.info

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys.

It would be interesting to know if picking from the top does indeed encourage it to bush

Comment

Thanks for the reminder............must set some seed tomorrow.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It would be interesting to take leaves off some plants and leave others intact for winter use only. Just to contrast and compare.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X