Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know when my gooseberries are ready?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know when my gooseberries are ready?

My solitary gooseberry bush has loads of fruit on it, but how do i know when they are ready? To me they feel a bit hard still, but maybe that's ok? Some have fallen to the ground, but they may have been knocked off?

I've never grown gooseberries before, so forgive me if this seems like a dumb question...
    He-Pep!

Sorry- but it depends on how sweet you like them!

Try one straight from the bush and see if you like the sugar level.

If you like them sweeter then leave them until you can gently squeeze them and they yield slightly to the pressure.
    If it's a green variety, you can actually see the goosegog turning a yellowy/translucent colour.

If you see a bird ( often a Jay) pinching them then you know they are near enough ready to start picking- or covering for another week or two for added sweetness.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos!
      He-Pep!

Comment

If you have lots of fruit, but they're quite small, trying taking off every other one - for cooking - and leave the others to grow bigger and sweeter. That's what I do anyway - not necessarily right, of course

Comment

Put one in your mouth if it completely puckers up they aren't quite ripe enough.

Comment

I often do as VC has advised. When they are a bit to hard to eat fresh and and they are still on the sour side they are ok for cooking. You can add a little sugar. Gooseberry curd is lovely!

Comment

pick one off and eat it. If you like the taste, then they are ready 😃 be careful that the birds don't beat you to it though 😔

Comment

I bet they're all gone when I get out of work tonight!
                He-Pep!

Comment

Blackbirds eat mine but there's usually more than enough for them. It's the pigeons that cause damage by sitting on the branches.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                    Put one in your mouth if it completely puckers up they aren't quite ripe enough.
                    I like them like that
                    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                      My old pops used to say if they turn you face inside out they aint ready

Comment

I leave mine on the plants as long as I can, the reds go burgundy and the green translucent. OH makes jams and ice cream and pies, we gave our grandson ice creamed goosegogs for a week after he said he hated them and only told him when he finished off his final second helping, now he is not sure whether to say he loves or hates them, we could see him trying to decide and failing, it didn't stop him asking for anymore though.....

Comment

For dessert gooseberries I do the foĺlowing:

First step: Look at the colour. Many varieties change colour when more or less ripe
                          Next step: touch a berry gently. If there's no give in the skin then it's not ripe yet
                          Final step: insert into mouth and try

For early culinary use I don't think it matters too much since you're going to sweeten a lot anyway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X