Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring onions in container

I bought some spring onions last week.
    Unfortunately I don't think my raised beds are going to be already any time soon. ;(
    So can I grow them in a container/pots?
    @thecluelessgardener

Yes - no problem with that!

Comment

That's where mine are grown - the benefit of pots is that they don't have to be huge, deep ones.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Thanks guys.
        What sized container do I need and how many should I plant? Does the container need to be quite deep.
        @thecluelessgardener

Comment

I have 2 washing up bowls with holes drilled in the bottom and a bit of shingle underneath the compost. Mind you I have used shallower planters - but I got my bowls from a pound shop.

I willy nilly sprinkle them on to pre watered compost sprinkle a bit more compost on top and then try and remember to water them as often as they need.

You can thin the onions out once they start appearing and I leave half to one inch between them.

Don't forget that you can eat your thinnings.
          I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

A tip I picked up from here was to sow them in 3" pots. Sow once a fortnight as many has you can eat in a fortnight and then plant them out into a larger container, I use a trough. That way you get lovely spring onions throughout the season and as you clear one end of the container you have more seedlings ready to go in.
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm growing spring onions in a pot. Black bulb like or little balls are on the end. Is this normal or not?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by nessa76 View Post
                I'm growing spring onions in a pot. Black bulb like or little balls are on the end. Is this normal or not?

Thanks
                That is the original seed case and it will fall off eventualy. I am impatient and have tried pulling them of in the past but it usualy ends up damaging the plant.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Thanks Bill, I will make sure I don't pull them off don't want to damage the plant. I'm glad they'll fall off and it's normal, I thought they was going bad haha

Comment

I use those long tubs for flowers on windowsills. Except that they kick about the garden.

Plant in clumps spaced about by, perhaps 4 inches. Seems to work fine.
                    Garden Grower
                    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X