Help - are my carrots poisonous?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - are my carrots poisonous?

The tops of my carrots are green (the body of the carrot) - does this mean that they are toxic like green potatoes? Should I have earthed them up when I noticed them poking out of the earth? I am cooking some for supper & just cutting off the green bits - is this ok do you think? If you don't hear from me again ........
    Judi.

That should be fine - it's what I do when I buy carrots and they have a green top - hasn't killed me yet! Have to confess the slugs got my carrots and I am waiting for the next lot to get planted!
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Just cut off the green shoulders. In future, keep the tops covered with earth. Enjoy!

Comment

Phew - thanks Shirley & Rustylady.

Comment

If you have any left in the autumn just pull the soil over them and they will keep right through the winter the best place to keep them when dug up in the spring the skin is damp and can be washed easiley jacob
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Yes, you could have earthed them over when they started rising out of the ground, and no, they will not poison you if you eat them. Enjoy.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I often see chefs on the telly cooking small whole carrots with green shoulders and a small potion of the foliage as well......so they must be OK!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

don't waste the "tops" - put in a shallow saucer of water (keep damp) or plant out, and they should regrow.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X