Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calabrese Bolted

Hi all,

I haven't successfully grown Calabrese before but thought I'd have another go this year.
    I sowed the seed on 1 March in a small pot in an unheated greenhouse. They came up a week later and I pricked out into modules on 25 March. A couple of weeks later they were big enough so I hardened off for a few days and planted out on 17 April, with a collar of drinks bottle for extra protection under debris netting. Two weeks on and they have bolted:

Any thoughts on how to avoid this next time?

The caulis in the background were given the same treatment but seem to have settled down nicely.
    Attached Files
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

The weather has been very up and down, I find I get best calabrese results from the autumn cropping varieties, sowing in July-ish but that may not work for the type you have.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

This was an Autumn-cropping variety. Mr Fothergill's "Broccoli (Autumn) Green Calabrese".
      The seed packet said sow March to May indoors, so I did that. I'll start some more off tomorrow, maybe the improved weather will help them grow without check.

Comment

Just a couple of points Martin. Were they firmed in as the topsoil looks loose? Were they well watered to keep the soil on the cool side............just thoughts really.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks BM. Yes, firmed in thoroughly, given a good soak at planting time. The topsoil isn't really loose, that's just my stony clay turning to concrete as it dries. I don't bother making a surface tilth unless i'm sowing seeds.

It did turn chilly a couple of days after planting out; I'm thinking that this probably over-stressed them. To be honest I'd probably have delayed a week or two if I hadn't been going into hospital, but I thought they'd be safer in the ground.

Comment

Brassicas are funny things to grow, that's why I'm not bothering this year with the exception of a few Sprouts.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Brassicas are funny things to grow, that's why I'm not bothering this year with the exception of a few Sprouts.
              What?!? No kale, cauli, cabbage, swede, turnip, PSB or even an ickle radish? Most of that is my staple winter veggies

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                What?!? No kale, cauli, cabbage, swede, turnip, PSB or even an ickle radish? Most of that is my staple winter veggies
                Would love to Alison but I don't have much luck & they take so much looking after............I may do 1 or 2 but not masses.

Comment

I love my calabrese. I grow one called Green Magic, the plants aren't as big as normal but I get good heads followed by lots of florets. At 8 to the square metre I find it a very good return for little or no effort.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

They look more like swedes to me?
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I always start calabrese off in modules in March for a late summer crop (usually end Aug) but I don't plant out until mid May, touch wood they havent ever bolted. I think the "cold spell" was your problem. Start some more off

Comment

Well I was wondering if it might have been the very high day temperatures/cold nights coupled with the earlyish start!! There were a few posts last year about PSB heading in August and I think the consensus was along these lines.

I have never had much luck with specific Autumn calabrese but am having another go this year. The one I like is Kibuki (F1), like the one Potty mentions, it is small and compact. It happily overwinters in the tunnel and performs quite well in the garden and you can grow it to have quite a long season. I want to try one Real Seeds have in the list which overwinters and now Green Magic.
                        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I've found Marathon very reliable for a heading type (one of the few F1s I ever grow). That too over winters under cover well and I always put about half a dozen plants in the tunnel at the end of Sept for eating spring time.

Comment

OK, well the re-sowed ones did exactly the same as the first batch. Except this time they didn't get as far as the allotment, they began to bolt while I was hardening them off last week. Here's a picture:

I'm convinced that these weren't calabrese at all; Mr Fothergill put the wrong seeds in his packet. These are probably Raab. So much for free seeds, eh.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's so frustrating! I feel your pain Martin

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X