Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem growing Parsnips

Hi,

We grow potatoes,onions,shallots,leeks,corn otc. courgettes,sprouts runner beans,broad beans,tomatoes,strawberries, lettuce, chard, beetroot etc......................BUT...

For the last three years we have failed miserably to grow parsnips in our allotment.
    The ground is mainly of a sandy composition but has been fed with general fertilizer,chicken manure,horse manure etc.
    Parsnip seeds have been planted in various parts of the allotment- some even in areas that haven`t had anything added. On only one occasion have we managed to get any parsnips to grow successfully.We have had the lottie for about eight years. Any advice and guidance would be very appreciated .

Thank you.

They like to be kept moist when they germinate. Water the drill well and cover with a plank of would to stop the top drying out. check it everyday until you can see that your seeds have sprouted.

Comment

I always chit mine on damp kitchen paper inside a plastic container with a lid on. Once they have chitted, I transfer them to toilet roll middles and, when they have grown the first true leaves plant them complete with toilet roll middles, always seems to work for me. There is quite a lot about it on here if you search (white box at the top of the page) for parsnips.

Oh, and welcome to the Vine
      Last edited by scarey55; 01-05-2015, 05:47 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling - as usual!
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Like scarey I start out by chitting my parsnip seeds on damp kitchen roll then once the seeds have tiny shoots I carefully drop them into pre-made holes filled with riddled soil/compost mix covering them with half inch of compost. This was works for me.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I think the sandy soil is not helping you as it dries out very quickly. In the last house I lived in we had very sandy soil and I struggled to get parsnips to germinate, although they grew well once they got going. I've grown some this year after a longish break, trying the kitchen paper method, and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. I transferred the chitted seeds to 3.5 inch pots in 3s, and then planted the pots out when the seedlings has a couple of true leaves. It could get a bit tedious though if you wanted to grow a lot of parsnips.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I could never grow Parsnips until I started making my own tape.....http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ape_77068.html............... I had a great crop last year with it. I think one of the most important things is to sow new seed as it does not keep.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Many thanks to each and everyone who offered guidance etc. I will obviously try to apply the methods.
              Oh...and thank you for the welcome. It has been a while since I contributed.

Comment

I plant in loo roll tubes and use new seed. I tries year old seed and it was a disaster!

Comment

I was advised on this forum to chit them in a tub on some damp loo role and they all nearly sprouted. Then I put them in toilet role tubes and they are all growing away (not very big yet mind) in my garden.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X