Garlic and the rain

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic and the rain

Just wondering what to do with my garlic. Up until 2 days ago they were looking very green and upright (5 in total in container). Despite all the rain, they seemed to be faring ok (at least on the surface!), but last night we had high winds. I managed to move the container to a better place in the garden, although still not entirely sheltered. As a result, the plants are now flopping all over the place. I have tried to firm up the soil around them to try and support them better.

I know that they start to fall over when ready to harvest. I am guessing that this flopping over is due to the winds and that they are not ready to harvest? How will I now know when to harvest??? They were planted up in feburary.

Other problem is that I am going on holiday for a week on friday (assuming that we can get there through the floods!), and I had intended to harvest quite a few things when I came back as most things were planted on 31 March. The person looking after them while I am away is a gardener (although flowers not veg) so will know when to water or not as the case may be! With all this rain, should I harvest anything or do anything before I go?

Being a newbie veg gardener I am so desperate that my first efforts are not wasted. It maybe like lots of others that they will all fail. At least if that happens I know I have tried my best.

on the plus side my 12 chili and pepper plants indoors are going from strength to strength and producing loads of fruit

Shelle, If your garlic was only planted in Feb. I would leave it be until you get back from your holiday. I am assuming there are plenty of drainage holes in your container. You will know your garlic is ready when the foliage starts to die down and turn yellow. Good luck.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

If your veg becomes ready, i'm sure it will keep on the plant for a week - better that than off the plant. Roots will keep better in the ground for sure.

Our garlic is in very small pots and has started to yellow, but i am going to leave it at least a month before harvesting it as the bulbs need time to fatten. We planted ours April 12th.

I have a sprinkler attached to a hose for our small kitchen garden, which is attached to a timer so that solves any watering problems, as it goes off during the night and has a 360 degree radius. With this rain though, it isn't necessary!

I am also a first time veg gardener, and i know, lie you, how easy it is to get carried away and pull stuff up!
      Vegmonkey and the Mrs. - vegetable gardening in a small space in Cheltenham at www.vegmonkey.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X