squashes , pumpkins and pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squashes , pumpkins and pots

I have really never planted in pots. I am sure it has been covered before but i hope you don't mind me asking again

I like a good rummage around the local tip and found myself with the second largest amounts of plastic pots anyone has ever had

I need to pot on some of my squashes and pumpkins.
    I thought planting them in pots and having the scattered around (i have a silly amount of plants!!)

Do you think with very good soil that one plant in a 15 ish ltre pot will be ok, i have some good fed to give throughout the season. Or will it get root bound and not perform well. one of my pumpkin root/stem was the size of a small tree last year, but i didn't feed, cut back etc so maybe was bigger thinking to find the things it needs.

Arrg what to do.

Help please
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Pumpkins are gross feeders and need copious amounts of water. In pots, you would probably be watering three times a day I would guess!
    They have a massive surface area on their leaves and will wilt very easily if not kept fully hydrated!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have successfully grown a pumpkin in a pot before. As long as you don't expect giant pumpkins then I'm sure 15l will be ok but obviously a bigger pot would be better if you can. You'd also be better to limit the pumpkins per plant, I had one pumpkin on each plant. It's a lot of effort watering but I managed so I'm sure you could too.
      Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Moopmoop View Post
        I have successfully grown a pumpkin in a pot before. As long as you don't expect giant pumpkins then I'm sure 15l will be ok but obviously a bigger pot would be better if you can. You'd also be better to limit the pumpkins per plant, I had one pumpkin on each plant. It's a lot of effort watering but I managed so I'm sure you could too.
        I doubt the pumpkins are fine in 15 litre pot in Spain. Is ok in North Uk.

Comment

ok, thanks guys.
          Don't think i will bother, as when away i will only have someone coming over every couple of days and i don't want to set up irrigation to pots.
          I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
            ok, thanks guys.
            Don't think i will bother, as when away i will only have someone coming over every couple of days and i don't want to set up irrigation to pots.
            If that's the case then no I wouldn't recommend it. I water every day during summer.
            Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X