X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanarkshire, Scotland

Hello! First post alert

Is anyone aware of allotments in North Lanarkshire (I'm in Coatbridge) for a first timer? I'm assuming there will be a wait list as I only know of one in the area, though I'm sure there is more. I've looked it up online but can't seem to find any information. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to say that I know nothing abuot allotments in your area but I did find this North Lanarkshire Council - Food growing survey on the internet. Unfortunately the survey ended yesterday
    Have you contacted your council's allotment officer?

Comment

Hi there, thank you for your welcome! Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any information about this online - I do know there is an allotment in my town (there seems to be 3 council owned allotments in North Lanarkshire), but can't seem to find anything in regards of contact details. I have emailed the address on the link you provided to see if they can point me in the right direction, so thank you for that!

Comment

Go down to the allotments at the weekend and see if you can chat to someone there to find out who to contact. They may know if anything is available now or soon.

Comment

veggiechicken took the words right out of my mouth! Go down and getting chatting.
          Welcome by the way! Glad to have someone else North of the Border that I can share problems with!

Comment

Hello from me too!

How about emailing the council? email: generalenquiries@northlan.gov.uk
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! I have emailed the woman who deals with allotments for North Lanarkshire, she said she doesn't have any contact details for the one closest to me but is passing on my details to the one in the next town (which isn't too far). But it turns out a family member knows someone who uses the allotments in my town so I'm gonna get in contact with them I expect to be put onto a huge waiting list but that's okay, I have a lot to learn in the meantime!

Comment

Woops sorry for the double post! Just been contacted by the women who runs the allotments in the town over, who says they have 1 available and I've to contact her to arrange to view it! I may take a drive over first as the area isn't my favourite, but it's really just 5 minutes more of a drive from my house than the others! I didn't realise it would happen so quick!

Comment

Wow, Amanda that's amazing! Hope the plot is OK for you.

Comment

Hello Amanda & welcome to the jungle. Let us know how you get on viewing the plot....Good luck.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks guys - waiting on them getting back to me

Can I ask some advice? The site closest to my house seems (after discussing with someone who just got a plot last week) to have a wait of 2ish + years. Would you put your name down for it anyway and take the plot closer in the mean time? The location really isn't bad, and I really don't have a clue what I'm doing (need to start somewhere!) so I fancy getting stuck in to learn.

Comment

Put your name down on the other site. If there's a 2 year wait, by the time your name comes up, you'll know how you feel about having an allotment and how settled you are on the other one.
                        When they offer you one, you can always say No thanks.

Comment

With veggiechicken. I'd take the further away one just now and see how it suits you.
                          Congratulations!!
                          What are you planning on growing?

Comment

Thank you!! I'm going to have a look at it on Monday - very excited! The plot is 15ft x 15ft, is this a good size for a beginner?

Not sure what I want to plant just yet.. but I almost want to break out the graph paper and start planning! I really hope I like it and it works out

Comment

No idea of size as I've never owned a lottie! I garden in raised beds in the front garden.

It might be a good idea to break out the graph paper and plan what you think you could fit in.

Remember to take a measuring tape with you to your viewing so you can accurately draw up any permanent features that you'd like to keep (shed, water butts etc?)

Oh and mark up sun and shade too.
                              How exciting!
                              Last edited by SkyChild; 30-04-2015, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X