Which Hoe should I get?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hoe should I get?

I need to buy my first hoe for my allotment. I am currently clearing it of grass and short weeds. It is clay soil and a bit boggy too. The array is confusing me. What do people advise Hoe wise to help with clearing it please?

It's tricky. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. Personally I haven't found one I really like yet but I use a Dutch Hoe more than anything else. I'm on the lookout for a Swoe, looks like it might be good, but I haven't found one locally yet.

I suggest you pick one that takes your fancy and see how you get on with it. Or better still, ask fellow allotmenteers if you can borrow theirs for a few minutes?
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Whatever feels comfortable to use. I bought a new one and don't like it. Still using my Grannies one, they don't make them like that anymore!
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

There are two main types:

The draw or swan-neck hoe:

can be used to chop into weeds that are well established, and used to draw earth up - for example earthing up potatoes.

The Dutch hoe:

For me the angle-of-attack is critical. For example Dutch hoes like this:

have such a "flat" angle that they are hard work to use as you can't just slide them back and forwards. I've seen lots of cheap ones like this, the metal bends easily, and doesnt' look easy to sharpen - the metal coated in some sort of Hammarite-looking paint

Dutch hoes, and their variants, only work well in soil that is friable and on weeds that are not too established. Little and often definitely the best approach.

I think a steel one, which can easily be sharpened (with a stone) is best as if the tool si properly sharp it slices through the weeds more easily.

A stirrup hoe is a variation on the Dutch Hoe - push back and forth to chop the weeds

K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

and a Swoe (which is what I use) is also a variation on the same theme:

the main feature being that its offset head means you can work it the other side of a plant so that you can weed all around a plant - without actually having to walk around the far side to get close to the plant itself. Again, angle of attack is important but I have never seen a cheap Swoe and as a consequence perhaps??! all the ones I've seen look fit for the job
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I have two which I use. A variation of the Dutch hoe given to me by my neighbour and a swoe (£2 something brand Fiskars new from JTF In case your interested Kristen). Both are comfy to use, I'm only starting to use the swoe and the ability to go in three different directions without moving is handy.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I've found this to be a great piece of kit:

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I am looking for a narrow bladed hoe, find standard ones are about 6" but would like one about 3", any ideas?

Comment

The Wolf tool which Billmally shows above is my desert island tool. A brilliant hoe for clearing with the cultivator the otherwise to get through tough soil.
                  Last edited by Gilberd; 27-04-2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                    I am looking for a narrow bladed hoe, find standard ones are about 6" but would like one about 3", any ideas?
                    Have you looked at children's hoes, GL
                    Or you could make one from a paint scraper - I have some stainless steel ones - that are very versatile - I use them for frying eggs.................but I digress
                    Seriously, are onion hoes narrow enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post

I knew someone who was asked if he had a 2" hoe someone could borrow. He popped into his shed with an old hoe and used an angle grinder on it

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Angled hoe - this is basically a swoe but cheaper. Get a sharp one.

Comment

my personal fav is the wolf garten hoe on a long wooden handle for large areas by just drawing it backwards it has the perfect angle and a swoe for more fiddle areas

Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X