Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions envy

Hi

Wanting to get large big onions after seeing the size of my allotments neighbours' onions last year I thought I had done everyone to get them to big this time, including growmore fertilizer and bunny manure.

However, looking at my growing onions they seem to only have 2 or 3 leaves whereas other peoples seems to have numerous leaves. What am I doing wrong?

Should I be using a nitrogen feed watered on now, as I heard it give more green leaves which in turn will make the onions bigger as it will have more leaves.

Help!

Onions are very hungry plants. I grew some large ones last year and the year before.

I grow in containers so started with MPC and mixed in some dried FYM and pelleted onion fertiliser. This was then supplemented with a nitrogen feed followed later in the year by potash. My best onion was close to 4lbs so I was quite pleased.

Hopefully Aberdeen Plotter will be along later to offer some more serious advice.
    Attached Files
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thank you. I am struggling with finding a nitrogen feed. Is there one you recommend one please

Comment

One of the strongest IMO is Miraclegrow, useful for lots of other things to.

As I say I should wait for a post from AP he guided me and is the onion man round here and then follow his advice.

If you can find the thread 'Growing onions from seed' there is a wealth of info there.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I think this might be the thread Potty? Put your feet up Gilberd and grab a beer!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eed_69067.html

Comment

That's the one, THANKS Scarlet

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I will have a read through it with a nice glass home brew

Comment

Gilbert, using a high nitrogen feed with onions will only result in soft leaf growth. Best to apply any feed you give in the compost mix and then just give water when needed. I use a half and half mix of general purpose compost and John innes three. I add some vermiculite to keep the compost mix open and also add a little slow release compost - a tablespoon per batch of 6 scoops each of gp/ji.

Comment

Glad your here AP the chap might stand a chance now

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

That's guys. Not a chap though but a chapet!

Comment

Sorry forgive my mistake. I should not assume that only guys want to grow big onions.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

That's ok, however I am growing for my husband's benefit after being told last year how small they were! Although they were small but mighty in flavour

Comment

Just remind your OH that size isn't everything
                          My onions usually grow into something slightly (but ony very slightly) larger than the sets I planted

Comment

My onions are sort of feeble, except for a half row of 5 that seem to be doing reasonable at the moment. The problem I have is I thought they were garlics in there not onions, and have absolutely no recollection of planting them at all. They are growing happily behind a half row of shallots - which I do recall planting.

Present situation is:
                            No idea when they went in, no idea what they are, no idea who planted (me I suppose). But they look sort of happy enough.

Going to be interesting to see what transpires.

Comment

Well here's mine so far...

I had to plant them out a little earlier than I would have liked, but I needed the room in the greenhouse....
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by chilli_grower; 01-05-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X