Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping hoover bags onto tomatoes

Hi
    Has anyone tried distributing the contents of their hoover bag round their tomatoes? Can't remember where I read this now.
    Does it work? have wool carpets so wouldn't be adding synthetics to the soil.
    best wishes
    Sue

Hi Sue
    Haven't heard of mulching toms with the contents of your hoover bag but have seen it added to the compost heap.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Rat,
      Yes, I've normally done that but did remember reading this somewhere.
      Just had a brainwave - found it, it's in a book called modestly, The Greatest Gardening tips in the world.
      It's for the trace elements apparently, author says one handful per week mulched into the soil "gives amazing results", better tasting fruit with thinner skins and resistance to splitting.
      Well, I'm going to have a go!
      Sue

Comment

I saw it on a DVD - think it was the "greatest gardening tips" one - not too sure myself! However, have put the last lot of Crosby cat hair into the compost bin - so I'll see! Bernie
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

The only problem we have using hair/dustbag waste around plants is that it very quickly disappears, but we found out where it goes! As soon as we put it down, the garden birds pinch it to line their nests.
          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

We have a bird feeder full of horse hair - the birds have emptied it this year! Including the blue tits who used our house for the first time - fabulous! Bernie
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

YUK! the contents of my dyson are indescribable!! Cat hairs, yes, but plenty of dust and dead skin and crumbs and microscopic gunk!

I can only liken it to turning your keyboard over on a piece of newspaper and giving it a vigourous shake - and times by ten!

.....or is my household particularly revolting...........??!

Comment

Hazel, dont worry it's the Dyson, I am sure there is a secret 'gunk' dispencer built into a Dyson just to shock its users!
                My Dyson gunk is sort of grey.... what is yours?
                great fun, when we got a new cheap marroon rug for the two cats to sleep on. With little effort I could get a lovely grey/marroon stripe running through the Dyson clear bit! I need to get out more........

Comment

I've heard about tipping the contents of your hoover into the compost bin but the only trouble is I use that 'shake'n'vac' flea-killing type powder sometimes & wouldn't want to add that to anything. I can see the hair & dust etc. making a good mulch for round your toms. etc though.
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

This sounds pretty horrid to me. The dead things in my carpet, I dont want them around my food either thanks.

:S
                    Last edited by Sebbster; 26-06-2007, 11:43 AM. Reason: typo

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Just had the hairdresser round so I've put all my hair trimmings around the base of the gardeners delight tomato plant I've got in the yard. Actually, it's potted up ready to go to mum's at the weekend - so not sure what she will make of it!

Keep the slugs off anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebbster View Post
                        This sounds pretty horrid to me. The dead things in my carpet, I dont want them around my food either thanks.

:S
                        This is food that's growing in dirt, right? Just checking...

Comment

Originally posted by oops View Post
                          This is food that's growing in dirt, right? Just checking...
                          Yep the same, and the horse dung.... even so

An onion can make people cry but there's never been a vegetable that can make people laugh.

Will Rogers

Comment

Well, if I've got dead things in my carpet, then I can't see what harm they'd do, considering all the non-dead nasties I have got on the allotment they seem a small worry.
                            I'm going to have a go and will have to report back if I've got poisoned tomatoes or wonderful gleaming specimens!
                            Sue

Comment

I can't see me putting the contents of the hoover bag round my tomatoes (it just doesn't sit with me) but I will be putting hair in a bird feeder for the nesting season next year. Thanks for that DDL.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X