Potatoes in a container - help please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes in a container - help please

I apologise as these questions must have been asked before, but browsing quickly I can't find answers.

I am growing Charlotte potatoes in a container and the leaves are just pushing through. Can someone tell me:
    • when do I start earthing them up, ie what height do the leaves have to be, or is it straight away?
    • do I cover the leaves when I earth them up?
    • As they're in a container, it's quite restricted for earthing up. Any tips on this please?
    • how often should I water them. The earth is pretty dry with this recent warm weather.

Thanks.

My quick points:
    • Earth up when they are about 6 inches out of the soil
    • Leave the top set of leaves exposed after earthing up, as this will make growth quicker. Theoretically you can full earth over, and some people do. I just like the idea the plants are getting a bit of energy from the sun.
    • Once they are growing they need water. In the early stages they are getting most of the energy from the seed potato so it's no too important. However, once they are above ground and growing quickly, never let them fully dry out or the mini potatoes can die and before they start forming properly. I keep them consistently moist.
    • Other tips? I do 3 seed potatoes per 35l container. I put the seeds about 5" off the bottom of the container, with 5" on top. Once leaves emerge I keep topping up about 5" at a time until I reach the top. Then if I have the time I will place a mulch, or a weed suppressant fabric on top. This not only keeps the moisture in, but promotes potatoes growing right under the mulch, but still leaves enough room to water, thus maximising the potato yield.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Valleyman; 17-04-2015, 01:26 PM. Reason: Speeling

Comment

gotta say valleyman's got it about covered there good advice..
      this will be a battle from the heart
      cymru am byth

Comment

Charlotte are a second early salad potato so will need to be in the container about 18 weeks. Follow the good advice above, plus keep them in a sunny position if you can and feed after about week 6.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Would you put a pipe in for watering the roots directly? or just water from the top?
          Last edited by Tomatoe; 17-04-2015, 03:20 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Did the mix in the container contain a fair proportion of manure?
            Potato's need the nutrients and organics from something like manure, most bought compost has fertiliser added but that soon gets used.

If you did not have say manure in at the start you could earth up with compost+manure or compost+chicken poo pellets. Chicken poo pellets are probably the easiest

Keep them at least moist, allowing them to dry out can lead to scab.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomatoe View Post
              Would you put a pipe in for watering the roots directly? or just water from the top?
              Potatoes and roots will fill the container right up to the soil/mulch level so i don't see that you would get an advantage. In fact it might disadvantage you as those near the top might get a bit dry. I've never done it, and with a good feed the containers are jam packed full, so much so that emptying by upturning them has been impossible before. A pipe would take up valuable potato room.

They do however say that toms take water from the bottom roots, and feed from the top roots, and potatoes are the same family. So am happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

Comment

I grow in dustbins and always leave a 3 to 4 inch gap up to the brim, that way in the hottest weather I can just empty a 2 gallon bucket into the bin, but do make sure you have good drainage they won't like to be sat in a puddle.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

If it is going to be frosty then you might be more inclined to cover them completely when earthing up, but if not then I let them grow a few inches first as well so that they don't get confused.
                  "Yey, I reached the surface!"
                  "Wait a minute - did someone just put a hat on me? And why's it been nightime a lot? It's been like 6 days or something...."
                  "Oh, wait, there's the sun again. Wierd. Right, back to making babies."

I've watered my containers over the last couple of days because it's been so hot. Just don't overdo it and check the soil a couple of inches down to see, as it may be dry on top but still moist below.

Also, a tip I learnt today: if you have a four year old and you see her picking up a cane, watch her to make sure she doesn't "help" the potatoes to grow by prodding them with said cane.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X