Planting new potatoes in june

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting new potatoes in june

Does anyone plant a fresh batch of new potatoes once they've pulled the first lot?

Tends to move the cropping period into the Blight period ...

I plant 1st and 2nd Earliest, and then some that are technically (I believe) main crop but which we harvest on-demand when/after the 2nd Early are cropping. For example Pink Fir Apple.

I plant all of them at about the same time (might plant the Mains before the 1st Early if that patch is ready first )
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Firstly not a good idea to follow crops with the same crop. As Kristen posted takes you into blight season but my first thought was where are you getting the seed potatoes from in June? Leeks seem to follow my early potatoes.

Comment

XMas seed potatoes might be available in June - perhaps?!! (Haven't planted them that often, but when I have done it was first week of August)

Comment

I planted some Sarpo Axona and Sarpo Mira in July - these are blight resistant maincrop and the seed potatoes were available in the local Wyevale. They did produce some smallish potatoes by Christmas. The main problem was protecting the foliage from early frosts.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Tangential point, but in case of interest. I grew my Xmas spuds in bags / containers. They came in as the nights got colder, but the foliage had died down some time before Xmas, I left them in the container so they were more like New Potatoes than Stored Potatoes!!

However, upshot was we decided that New Potatoes at XMas was "different" (we eat with the seasons, in the main) and we preferred traditional Roast Spuds ... so haven't really thought to do it again since.

Being able to bring the containers in probably helped (more so further North I expect). If sown on 01-Aug and needing say?? 10 weeks that's only Mid October so clear of frost most years / places.

Comment

I thought blight might be a problem cheers all

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X