Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purple Sprouting Broccoli - how long till harvest?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Sprouting Broccoli - how long till harvest?

So here are my three PSB plants.

Their rate of growth has increased a lot over the past month. The one in the middle is a different variety to the others (came from same pack mind!) and although shorter, is further along. Here's a pic of it. The other two are a couple of weeks behind it.

Not grown it before. How much longer till it's ready to begin harvesting, do you think? I'm guessing about a month...Can't wait to start eating some.

That makes me think that I'll need to get some netting over them at some point to stop the butterflies that'll start in about a month's time?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Snow; 22-03-2015, 06:32 PM.

I would think it should be ready to cut in a couple of weeks or so. I find that cutting the central head early makes the sideshoots grow faster, but you do sacrifice the size of the central head a bit that way.

With regard to the butterflies, I don't usually find them a problem until about June or early July, but they may come out a bit earlier down south.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Check all the time you will be surprised on how quickly they are ready. I harvested a lot last night from my only surviving plant. It only took a day to almost go to flower. Does look yummy
      I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

couple of weeks or so: brilliant! :-)

I don't mind cutting the first one a bit early so I can start eating sooner, as I can then leave the other two longer to mature. I am hoping my daugher will eat some but she may say she doesn't like it. And my wife ought to eat it, but she is used to buying it 'perfect looking' with all the pesticides and so on, and so may take some convincing. Point is, that there is a chance it'll just be me eating it. Even if not, I'm guessing that one plant will be enough initially.

I may get away without any netting then, I'll keep an eye out but won't stress too much about it.

Comment

If you've not grown it before be aware that PSB can turn the cooking water blue.
          Bit of a shock that, the first time

Also, if you can persuade your family to try some I think they will find the tenderness and sweeter, less cabbagey taste wins them over. Maybe start pointing out the ridiculously priced, tiny packages of PSB appearing in supermarkets?

If you (or they) are at all concerned about wee beasties, just dump the shoots into a bowl of salted water when you get home.

Oh! and net anyway....pigeons can strip a plant bare in one morning if they suddenly have a mind to.

I lurve my PSB
          Last edited by muddled; 22-03-2015, 10:13 PM.
          http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
            If you've not grown it before be aware that PSB can turn the cooking water blue.
            It keeps its colour much better if you steam it and the texture is better too - think the only veg we boil these days is tatties as find other methods look better and keep the nutrients more effectively.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks, yes, I've eaten it before, so know it does this. Just not grown it before.

Also, if you can persuade your family to try some I think they will find the tenderness and sweeter, less cabbagey taste wins them over. Maybe start pointing out the ridiculously priced, tiny packages of PSB appearing in supermarkets?

If you (or they) are at all concerned about wee beasties, just dump the shoots into a bowl of salted water when you get home.

Oh! and net anyway....pigeons can strip a plant bare in one morning if they suddenly have a mind to.

I lurve my PSB
              I hope I can convince them to eat some. I'll be trying!
              I hardly ever get birds in my garden so not too worried about pigeons. It's small and sheltered and there are a lot of cats around and the only birds in the trees nearby are horrible magpies. But I'll be certain to put up netting if pigeons do turn up, thanks!
              Last edited by Snow; 22-03-2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Now if you cook it yourself for them, instead of leaving your wife to do it, they'll none of them know it didn't look 'perfect' beforehand because it all looks the same once cooked! If your kids don't want to eat it, try slathering it in butter to melt over the top, very healthy lol .
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

I grill on my foreman type thing, salt, pepper, so yummy
                  I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Dunno about my PSB, but the kale is all going to seed...
                    Garden Grower
                    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      Dunno about my PSB, but the kale is all going to seed...
                      Last years Kale? That's normal..

Comment

Here in Cumbria I have been harvesting for three weeks, it's coming thick and fast now, but I do think that there are different types, some a bit earlier than others.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
                          If your kids don't want to eat it, try slathering it in butter to melt over the top, very healthy lol .
                          Nooooooo, don't ruin it with a sea of grease, it's lovely as it is and this fashion of adding unnecessary ingredients to beautiful veggies makes me feel queasy.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I am already freezing some of my white sprouting broccoli. Been harvesting for about 3 weeks now.
                            Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Nooooooo, don't ruin it with a sea of grease, it's lovely as it is and this fashion of adding unnecessary ingredients to beautiful veggies makes me feel queasy.
                              You don't put butter on Asparagus even?
                              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X