Non Climbing Runner Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Climbing Runner Beans

I am trying to grow a new variety of runner beans ARMSTRONG that do not want to climb as any body else had the same problem there are other varietys of bean in the same row all doing what they should do any ideas folks
    jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Are you sure they're climbers, Jacob? You can get "dwarf" or non-climbing runner beans. Check your seed packet.

Comment

Have just checked out a couple of websites and they do indeed list Armstrong as a vigorous "Enorma" type of runner bean, so they should climb. How long are the shoots, and are they laying along the ground or just not growing very fast?

Comment

Hi Rustylady the shoots or stems are about three feet long if you straighten them out very thin and no longer than three inches in a straight line .
        the Wisley Majic planted at the other end of the row on the same day are six feet high and flowering and some czar in the midle of row the same if they do not improve i have some Scarlet Emporer in reserve will replace them Jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Could it be linked with our wonderful British weather? Are they more susceptable to temperature changes than other runners?

Comment

Try tying them loosely onto the supports, it sometimes helps them to get the idea.

Comment

I think i will give that a go thanks rustylady if this rain keeps up you will be rusty jacob
              Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                Are you sure they're climbers, Jacob? You can get "dwarf" or non-climbing runner beans. Check your seed packet.
                Guess whos got 6' poles and planted "dwarf" beans! LOL - I really must make sure I read the packet properly next time! Bernie
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Remember to 'encourage' the growing tips the right way round the canes (anticlockwise I have found) - if you 'help' them by winding them round the wrong way they will just unwind the next day...........

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                    Remember to 'encourage' the growing tips the right way round the canes (anticlockwise I have found) - if you 'help' them by winding them round the wrong way they will just unwind the next day...........
                    I have encouraged them swore at them i will tie them up with some old tomatoe ties tomorrow they just do not want to go up the canesjacob
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X