Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Chilli thread - Wilko Chillies...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Chilli thread - Wilko Chillies...

Evening,

Found these in my local Wilko today, Apache plug plants, they also had sweet peppers and a couple of tomato varieties... anyone tried these before? First time I've seen Wilko sell plug plants...

Attached Files

I have grown Apache a couple of times - easy to grow medium size and heat chilli. - normally about 50p a plug.

Comment

I was given a couple of Apaches from wilkos last year - they grew nicely and I had loads of chillis from them.

Comment

I'll have to see what happens with them then, hopefully they'll grow better than the chillies I've planted, I've planted Orange Habenaro, Jalapeno, Cayenne and Aji Lemon, the Aji Lemon are the only plants that seem to be developing...

Comment

I had so many chillies on my Apache last year that I bought in a Dobbies "nearly dead bin" for a pound I gave 2 away and grew 2 more and I had tons (not literally) of chillies I am still using them now from frozen I just use kitchen scissors and snip them into scran.

Comment

Some good info here on apache, I remembered finding it a couple of years ago.

The Apache Chilli Pepper | ChilliFundamentals.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that link, very interesting!

Transplanted 5 out of the 6 plants into pots yesterday morning, hoping they survive, my one criticism of the Wilko packaging is how tough it was, pushing the plants out of the tray was impossible without damaging the plants so I ended up cutting it with a craft knife, hoping I've not done too much damage!

Comment

I popped into wilko today because I really wanted a red gooseberry bush and got a great one for £3. However, I looked at their plug plants and was extremely disappointed with the state of them in my local store. To be honest I didn't really need any anyway, due to currently having 60 tomato seedlings (with more to come ), around 25 chilli and 10 sweet pepper, but most of their seedlings seemed to be on their last legs - and the flower plug plants were even worse, with most of them either dying or dead.
                What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                Pumpkin pi.

Comment

^^

You will be popular later in the year.

Loads of places don't look after plant stock - it is such a shame - even my Local Dobbie's is like it at times.

Comment

That's my one bugbear about shops....how hard can it be to give things a little bit of water

My local Wilko had a few plugs in on Thursday (day before pay day!) but when I popped along Friday afternoon the strawberries I'd had my eyes on had gone! I was tempted by the peppers & tomatoes but as I've got some seeds of both (and am on a budget!) I thought I'd try growing them first. If it all goes dismally wrong I can always get a few young plants from the Saturday marketplace in April/May
                    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I've noticed the same with my local Home Bargains, Aldi, Lidl etc, they all seem to display plants and flowers but don't water them so they're dead within days!

As for the Wilko Chilies, I'm pleased to say they've survived my heavy handed repotting and seem to have put on a bit of growth!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X