Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweet potatoes: can I grow them this way?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potatoes: can I grow them this way?

I grew sweet potatoes last year but the result was not too good. I think it may have been partly due to the low temperatures, especially last August.

At the moment I have slips growing nicely on my windowsill, in a couple of months time I'll plant them into the ground, but right now I'm trying to decide where and how to grow them for a better result.

Since they are low growing plants, I wonder whether I can grow them in the greenhouse and then plant other things like peppers and aubergines between the sweet pot? Would they co-exist in the greenhouse? If not, the sweet potatoes will have to stay outdoors, in which case how to raise the growing temperature for them? I've got some cold frames but they are not big enough.

I'm grateful for any ideas and suggestions.

It's experimental for me, first year of growing sweet potatoes, but after research I plan to plant through black membrane and have a plastic tunnel cloche over the top of them. Hopefully should increase the overall temperature around them? Will this work??

Comment

Originally posted by Muppet194 View Post
      It's experimental for me, first year of growing sweet potatoes, but after research I plan to plant through black membrane and have a plastic tunnel cloche over the top of them. Hopefully should increase the overall temperature around them? Will this work??
      Thanks Muppet194. What you are planning to do was more or less what I did last year. The cloche we used is like this
      Under each cloche were 3 plants, then I covered the ground with black ground covering 1.5 metres in all direction. The trouble is the plants spread quite widely, so nearly 2/3 of the foliage was outside the cloche. When it was time to harvest, I found that only the ones in the middle of the cloche did reasonablely well, the ones at each end were quite pathetic. That is why I'm seeking help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X