Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb Now?

Apologies for repetition.

Is now a good time to plant a shop bought Rhubarb crown? You know, the little ones hidden in a small bag of compost.

Any recommendations for a good variety?

I have tried a couple of years ago and the bit I purchased came to nothing. Probably the wrong time of year.

Thanks.
    While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

I bought 5 "Raspberry Red" ones last year for 10p each in H0meb@se. Never thought they'd do anything but thought 50p was worth gambling.
    They all grew (in pots) and have since been planted out. This year they're all sending up new leaves

Comment

Originally posted by daviddevantnhisspiritwife View Post
      Is now a good time to plant a shop bought Rhubarb crown? You know, the little ones hidden in a small bag of compost.
      Personally I don't think any time is good for them - no way of telling how long they have been, bone dry, in the bags hanging on the shelf - although Rhubarb is very robust and of all the dessicated plants on the rack probably has the best chance of surviving. Even if it does the bag-on-shelf is a stressful experience and likely to take the plant a year to recover before it starts then growing vigorously. You can save that first year by planting a decent plant in the first place, they cost about £6 - £7

Any recommendations for a good variety?
      I recommend an Early and a Main - e.g. Timperley Early and Champagne. You could consider an Autumn variety too, if you are mad keen on Rhubarb

I have tried a couple of years ago and the bit I purchased came to nothing. Probably the wrong time of year.
      Or it was already dead when you bought it?
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Ive never had any luck with Rhubard crowns, Id buy plants from the garden centre.

Last year I also tried buying 5 small plants from ebay but only 1 looks to be coming back at the moment.

I adore a bargain but I think in this case its a false economy.
        Last edited by maverick451; 24-02-2015, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Glad I resisted the other day, though I guess they must work for some people... I think I had a dud un'

I'll look for a healthy looking plant next time I swing by the GC. I am not mad keen on Rhubarb, just would like some in the garden for when it takes my fancy.

Recommendations noted. Thank You!
          While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

I think I'd got one form B&Q years ago. It grew.

Since then I have grown it from seed. Easy peasy!

Comment

I've been digging up all the odd bits of rhubarb in the garden and replanting them together in a rhubarb bed. At the last count, there were 19 plants and I still have a few more to find - and 3 little Victoria's in pots to plant out.
              You could say that I like rhubarb

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X