Decimated kale and cauliflower .

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decimated kale and cauliflower .

Hadn't been down to the plot for a few weeks as weather poop. When I went down this week I was aghast to see my kale and cauliflower decimated. I expect by the clouds of whitefly I battled in vein back end of 2014. I'd covered them but not with the White net only the pond type netting. The cauliflowers have weeny brown centres so a right off. But does anyone know if the kale will recover at all? The look truly awful but there is a suggestion and it is just a suggestion ...of good growth right at the centre.
    I sprayed with soft soap last year but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Got any pictures?

In my experience, kale can generally recover from pretty much anything, given time, though it may not produce a big crop. Mine has been scoffed down to the base twice by pigeons this year (I think the resident fox managed to pull all the netting down), but it's regrowing OK again. At this point, I'm just hoping it'll distract the feathery ratbags from my PSB though rather than expecting to be picking much.
    My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Whitefly don't actually eat the plants, so when you say they have been decimated I would suspect some other pest

Comment

As said, whitefly don't have big enough teeth to eat plants.
        It's woodpigeons and you need to use netting
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Pigeons are the normal culprits round here on mature plants (slugs on smaller ones) although most of my recent problems have been other people's escaping chickens

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X